Waxing canvas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Hi all, I'm making a bedroll out of some old army canvas and I want to wax it so it's more waterproof, I have some fjallraven greenland wax that I use for my trousers but it's not cheap and think I would make the whole block disappear pretty quick on the bedroll, I'm just wondering what everyone uses for waxing, any cheaper options? The bedroll is going to be 90cm by 175cm. I'm thinking I want to heavily proof the bottom and give the top a light coat to leave it slightly breathable? Any advice would be ace, thanks.

Gregor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nikwax do a great cotton wax that sprays on from a pump dispenser. (Just stand the bottle in warm water for about 10 minutes to make it easier to apply).
Just called Nikwax spray cotton proof. Very good stuff, I've treated lots of stuff and it goes on much more evenly than the solid stuff.
Hope that helps,
GB.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Waxing from scratch is a very different proposition from re-waxing even a very dried out cotton and takes a lot of stuff to get it waterproof. There are loads of tutorials on the net about how to make a mixture of paraffin wax, beeswax and pure turpentine; cheap enough to make up a big batch, keeps forever and you can use it on anything. Put the goo on with a sponge and use a hairdryer to melt it in and spread it easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE