Waxed Harness Leather?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am used to working with veg-tanned tooling leather, but recently got a length of waxed harness leather (at least that is what I take it to be) to make a belt.

My question is, how do I finish the edges?

On tooling leather my process is to sand down to at least 400 grit, preferably 600, apply oil based dye, rub in some gum tragacanth, burnish and finally finish with oil/wax mix. The thing is that this method doesn't seem to do a lot for pre-waxed leather. It just doesn't burnish readily. I have been trying to read around the subject and the two methods I have found are to use something like Fiebings Edge Kote, which I have tried and wasn't impressed with, or to use a heated edge finnishing tool, sort of like a heated burnisher. I have tried applying a heated rod to the leather and it seems to smooth the surface, but at the same time it makes it a little crispy, which may or may not be a desireable result:confused: :eek: :confused:

Any of you leather workers fancy pointing me in the right direction?

Cheers :beerchug:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I am used to working with veg-tanned tooling leather, but recently got a length of waxed harness leather (at least that is what I take it to be) to make a belt.

My question is, how do I finish the edges?

On tooling leather my process is to sand down to at least 400 grit, preferably 600, apply oil based dye, rub in some gum tragacanth, burnish and finally finish with oil/wax mix. The thing is that this method doesn't seem to do a lot for pre-waxed leather. It just doesn't burnish readily. I have been trying to read around the subject and the two methods I have found are to use something like Fiebings Edge Kote, which I have tried and wasn't impressed with, or to use a heated edge finnishing tool, sort of like a heated burnisher. I have tried applying a heated rod to the leather and it seems to smooth the surface, but at the same time it makes it a little crispy, which may or may not be a desireable result:confused: :eek: :confused:

Any of you leather workers fancy pointing me in the right direction?

Cheers :beerchug:

I have found that rubbing a block of beeswax along the edge quite vigorously imparts a fair coating of wax to the edge. Then burnish it with a bit of dowel in a black and decker drill. The friction of the high revs melts the wax enough to impart a shiny finish. You don't have to press hard for it to work.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE