Waterstones - which ones to get??

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
Hi guys,

I have been sharpening stuff (chisels, knives, plane blades) on oil stones and more recently my £5 sharpening kit, and can get them v.sharp. However as my oilstones are ancient, they are starting to become less level than they should be, so I thought its time I bought some waterstones :) .
However, on axminsters there is a large variety of grits etc and I am unsure which I should get. :confused:

Any help here much appreciated,

woodwalker

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I got the combination Japanese Waterstone from Axminster last year. It was a great buy. Thoroughly recommend it. :)

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I am no expert sharpener. I bought a 1000/4000x combination stone and am pretty with it. I can nearly get my knives razor sharp, and I'm pretty sure that's due to lack of skill more than a failing of the stone.

Gailainne

I just bought the Ice bear kit from Axminster, 800 grit and a 6000 grit, comes with a nagura stone (creates a slurry on the 6000 grit) and a non slip holder, I also bought a 1200 grit stone, from reading up various forums these three stones will serve me well. BTW a leather strop, (belt) isnt a bad addition from all accounts, I'll have to either dig out an old belt or nip down to the charity shop. Hope this helps

Cheers guys,

I will probably go for the same set up as you Gailainne. I'm fine with the oilstones etc really, but I just would prefer stones which are in good condition to save my £5 kit for the rucksack.

As for strops, I used to use a belt like many here do, but I have since progressed to ablock of wood with buffing compound charged leather stuck to it - much more portable and useable in the field, and I also find I can get better results with it too IMO. For chisels I tend to use cardboard on a flat surface charged with compound to prevent the slight convexing that is formed by stropping on leather :)

woodwalker

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.