Waterproofing leather Barmah hat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Easy peasy, just treat it like a pair of boots. I use Grangers G Wax. Leather is leather whether you wear it on your feet or on your head.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Aha! Ta - that's the hat I want. Been looking and didn't know what it was called. Shall invest. Could be my Yuletide prezzie ... unless anyone has a spare they don't want (very unlikely :))

There are several models & the sizing is a bit iffy as they're usually on the small side so be careful on choosing both type & size, especially if buying on line (or when dropping subtle hints to your entourage )....;)

As for reproofing? the G wax already mentioned is fine but I use SNO SEAL on my leather hats....... just avoid the animal fats( neatsfoot, mink oil etc.) & stick to waxes.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There are several models & the sizing is a bit iffy as they're usually on the small side so be careful on choosing both type & size, especially if buying on line (or when dropping subtle hints to your entourage )....;)

Ta muchley for tip, shall make sure I say summat like 23-24 inches around the brain-box (currently empty:)!). Might wait to see if hey have 'em at the Bushcraft Show, then I can try it on.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ta muchley for tip, shall make sure I say summat like 23-24 inches around the brain-box (currently empty:)!). Might wait to see if hey have 'em at the Bushcraft Show, then I can try it on.

23 - 24 inches ? that's some noggin ya got there...:D ..... are you not of the female persuasion ? ........in which case their nuts usually measure around the 21 " ( 56cm ? ) mark ......do measure ya 'ead a few cm's above the ear 'cause if it's a little big then you can put some padding under the sweat band but if it's falling down around ya nose there ain't much you can do about it :D......but trying 'em on really is the best way as they vary from hat to hat even in the same sizes...:)

Last edited:

garethw

Settler
There are several models & the sizing is a bit iffy as they're usually on the small side so be careful on choosing both type & size, especially if buying on line (or when dropping subtle hints to your entourage )...

I heard this before about the sizing...but mine ordered on line was fine after measuring my head. I do find that once the hat is warmed the leather seems to give a bit and shrinks a bit if I have not worn if for a few days...
Trying on would be the ideal but even ordering it from Oz was a cheaper option than ordering from the UK as I live in France.

Nice hats ....

Here's a shot of it in action while fishing...

barbem600-37a9d3f.jpg

cheers
Gareth

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I've gone about it the right way in the past but not kept it up :) I'm going with Man-of-Tanith's suggestion, mainly because I've got a tin of Wilmas in the shed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE