Waterproof Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Went out on a 12.5km hike on Sunday to take a group of DoE students out, top half of me was fine but I've not got any decent waterproof trousers, only the old ones I used on the motorbike (too thick and heavy for walking in).

Needless to say got soaked yesterday (and cold). What trousers do people use?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I hate the rustle of waterproof trousers you get unless you walk like John Wayne, so unless it's really really cold, I'll stick with my shorts.
If it rains your legs do get wet but will dry quickly enough, whereas trousers can hold the water.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I use a pair of Lowe Alpine Storm Force Triple-point Ceramic trousers and have been really pleased with them they go with my excellent Foraker jacket). Tough, waterproof and fairly breathable. They don’t pack down very small, but as a mountaineer I’ll live with that – wet legs + wind-chill = problem!

Have a look at the reviews on here for more advice:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewcategory/mps/RGN/3/RCN/69/v/1/sp/

Ted W

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
When its remotely warm I do normally wear shorts, wasn't a problem yesterday in the woods (used my leather bush hat there) but in the open it was quite exposed and :rant: cold.

Looked on outdoorsmagic.com at work earlier, some guy reckons you can get a set of gortex trousers from army surplus store for £16, anyone had any experience with this?

N

Nyogtha13

I got a pair of Paramo Aspira trousers at Christmas and I am very impressed with them. I now do not take ordinary walking trousers and waterproof trousers, I just wear the paramo. It is very breathable and if i do start to get too warm there are side zips to vent it. Also very comfortable to wear all day. If it is really cold i wear Sub Zero long jongs underneath,otherwise i just wear them next to my skin. The Aspira might be more then you need, I am into winter climbing, but Paramo do have designs for walking which would be a bit lighter. I would definately recommend it over goretex. I like Triplepoint, my jacket is made of it, but would go for Paramo when i need to replace it.

Robin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE