Waterproof ripstop sheet

Warzinak

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello, We are going on a few trips to Scotland with our dog in a few weeks and wanted to get a sheet of fabric of some sort to cover our sleeping bags. We are in a Terra Nova Laser Comp 2 tent so the dog will have to sleep on top of us and from past experience he always gets the sleeping bag wet and muddy. I was thinking of something like 2oz ripstop nylon. It needs to be lightweight and protect against water. If anyone knows of any better fabrics please let me know. Thanks

EDIT:
or maybe something like this for added warmth?
http://ukfabricsonline.com/softshell-fabric/cambridge-black-budget-softshell
would something like this really be waterproof though? It wont ever be used outside of the tent, just need enough that it stops wet fur from transferring to our sleeping bags

Last edited:

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
It will probably sound like the mother of all crisp packets with your dog shuffling around on it. Not conducive to a good nights sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Not a good idea to place a tolally waterproof barrier on top of your sleeping bag/s. It will form a vapour barrier. Adult humans lose 1-2 lb water overnight while sleeping via breathing and perspiring. The perspiration will soak your sleeping bag if it is covered by a vapour barrier. Better to use a towel which will stop most of the water and mud transferring from the dog to the sleeping bag, but not stop the water perspired from leaving the bag.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I use an army goretex bivy bag for just this purpose. Using a bivy bag in a tent can be problematic but you should be okay with reasonable ventilation.

Warzinak

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Just came back from our trip, I bought a PU coated Nylon sheet in the end. Worked ok, we did not need to full cover ourselves with it just under the dog so did not get stuffy under it. Also served its purpose for when we had to get into the tent without getting everything wet (wetter). We had some horrible weather, we were definitely not prepared for it, by the second day most of our kit was wet and there was not a day that did not rain so nothing would dry. The Nylon sheet did help at times though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bivy bags (Goretex type) for you and your partner, not great for 'sharing the love' but will keep you dry. Get a small fleece blanket for the dawg...jobs a good'un.

PU coated nylon is pretty much just a water/sweat trap so IMHO, dump it.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
As someone who takes the dog every time I go camping, with a tent or tarp, I second a small fleecy blanket. You will never stop a wet dog wanting to move about of near u in a tent so I gave up. I always leave my bag in it's bivi bag tho. Even in the tent.

I have crawled into my tent in the pitch black to find the rear end of a Rottweiler poking out of my sleeping bag. He's a bugger.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have crawled into my tent in the pitch black to find the rear end of a Rottweiler poking out of my sleeping bag. He's a bugger.
Got that T-shirt.
emoticon-00140-rofl.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My dog had a small fleece sleeping bag of his own. He'd still try to share mine but even a little while in his and a rub down with his travel towel would make him dry and warm again plus no threat to my sleeping bag. Always had a small travel towel for the dog, got to think of the mutts comfort as well as your own when away.
Something I learned from field shooting; when you stop for the day, dry and feed the dog, then clean the gun, finally clean and feed yourself.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE