Water storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I sort or agree with what theyy are saying - but only sort of. Storing the water in larger tanks and dispensing during times of low rainfall is preferable, but diverting to the right spot IF the soil needs it is preferable. Diverting when the soil is saturated is not preferable though - it can waterlog and swamp.

There are no easy answers sadly.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
My thoughts Hugh really.
It makes you realise how much water soil can hold....u guess it like the human body it's preferable to me hydrated rather than wait till dehydrated before drinking......I'm guessing a system which could adopt both methods would be ideal...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can make it work Dave. What you need is a water catchment receptacle that overflows back into a drain or soak away. Then you put a splitter output on the outlet. When the soil is wet, you close the main (blue) valve and the rainwater fills the tank. When full it goes down the drain. Open the main valve and the water goes down each of the four split outlets. Each of these can be shut off or opened as needed (red valves). If the blue master valves and red irrigation valves are left open, water goes straight into irrigation when it rains.

Splitter connected to tap by British Red, on Flickr

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
but how to convince the other half that a big plastic tub connected to the guttering is a good idea - no water meter so it won't save us any money, hopefully the "better for environment" and "no chemicals" arguments will win her round to the idea.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Looks a good set up BR.
I've got one of those tanks but alas the downpipe near to the allotment is cast iron and as I rent I'm not sure I should be cutting into it......I could locate it round the side of the house (plastic pipe ) but not ideal.
Is there enough pressure off that Hugh or have you got any higher up??

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Tommy, could you slacken off the clamps, slide one section of the pipe down? Then bodge up a connector to bridge the gap with a take-off in that?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is there enough pressure off that Hugh or have you got any higher up??

Its a bit larger than you say there Dave.

Primary rainwater IBC with dual feed by British Red, on Flickr

I have ten tanks in total. They provide enough pressure for a slow irrigation "trickle irrigation". I use a hozelock above ground pump as well

Hozelock Pump by British Red, on Flickr

This has a 3.5m lift and can comfortably pump out normal water butts, connect "inline" with my IBC tanks or drop into the well head (I cast in a bit of 2" pipe to permit this

Well pump by British Red, on Flickr

This allows more than enough pressure for sprinklers etc.

well pump sprinkler by British Red, on Flickr

Happy to blather mopre about it - we are big on water independence :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great thanks for that mrcharly and Hugh. ..
I'm not on a meter here but hate 'wasting ' water.... I'm may have another look at the tank.
I had said someone could have it free but they've no collected yet..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE