water purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 5, 2012
west sussex
Hi guys, what is the best way to clean up mucky brown river water from the south coast area ready for drinking? i dread to think whats in it so would like your advice before i make any mistakes. anybody down here doing it?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi there

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I would not touch the stuff due to run off from farms, roads and up river communities.

That is just my opinion but I am sure others may think differently.

I always head away from rivers and try and find water from the top of catchment areas (usually from a hole I have dug). Even then it is filtered and boiled (even that is not 100% safe).

Cheers

George

Last edited:

Petewhitefang

May 28, 2011
Sheffield
I have noticed occassionally that in some burns and streams froth collecting at the sides away from the current. Is this an indication of pollution?

Petewhitefang

May 28, 2011
Sheffield
Thanks George. The link is very useful. Thinking back I think it was natural foam. I put water purification tablets in my water from the source. I guess this doesn't make a difference to farm pollutants etc.?

Pete

udamiano

On a new journey
Yep, some pretty nasty stuff in the UK's surface water. and chemical puri tablets just don't cut it with these. Land run off into streams and water ways may contain.

Phospates
Nitrates
Sulphates
Chlorates

then there is

Lead
Cadmium
Arsenic
Mercury
and a whole range of heavy metals that are not going to do your kidneys any good

and not forgetting

Virusess
Bacteria
Protozoa

just as a kind of icing on the cake.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimated that over 90% of the UK inland lowland waterways were contaminated in one way or the other. and recommend treating 'all' water out of doors. British Red did a really good post of water, which I see is in one of the above posts as a link.
And Seoras advice is extremely good

Da

Sep 5, 2012
west sussex
Thank to you all for your advice. Think I will leave river water well alone then and take with me what I need or to make arrangements to top up when I'm out and about. Cheers all.

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Hi all, I have been looking for a pre-mac PWP trekker water pump filter, but can't seem to find a stockist in the UK, can anyone help me out ? I have tried to contact Pre-Mac direct for stockist information but the phone number dosnt seem to work and the email bounces back, I have found a stockist in the US but as the pump is made in Sevenoaks Kent, I was hoping to find a supplier nearer to home. Any help in the right direction would be great ... thanks
Cyril

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5fmoa0

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Oh, I stupidly thought the Drinksafe alone was enough- I need chlorine tabs too??

Will read through the links today!

Cheers

Kp

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
No, the drinksafe is enough but the tabs are useful if the filter expires, there have been occasions where I have used both but that was more down to paranoia than necessity.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Even using a filter is alien to me! I've never even boiled water when out in the Cairngorms and never had so much as a fart... However, I think my luck will run out one day and the drink safe is so simple.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
What size filter does the drinksafe system use?
Couldn't find any info on their site.

Clean safe water is possible pretty much anywhere BUT it really comes down to time, effort and expense as to if it's worth it.

Activated carbon does remove a lot of chemical nasties, to be honest i don't know what it's limitations are.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi all, I have been looking for a pre-mac PWP trekker water pump filter, but can't seem to find a stockist in the UK, can anyone help me out ? I have tried to contact Pre-Mac direct for stockist information but the phone number dosnt seem to work and the email bounces back, I have found a stockist in the US but as the pump is made in Sevenoaks Kent, I was hoping to find a supplier nearer to home. Any help in the right direction would be great ... thanks
Cyril

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5fmoa0

I saw one in Joe Browns in Capel Curig last week :)

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Thanks for the help guys ... I have the chlorine tablets and a millbank bag and boil my water when I need to use surface water from a river or lake in the low country, I may look into some other options if i cant get a pre-mac as the filter takes out the heavy metals that I can't remove using the mill bank and chlorine, can anyone recommend a good filter system?
Tx.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sawyer Point ZeroTWO is a great system.

0.02 micron is about as good as it gets this side of ROI, add a activated carbon filter and there is not many areas i wouldn't drink water from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE