Water bladder size for use around camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What size of water bladder for use in camp?

• 2L

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • 3L

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • 4L

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • 6L

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • 8L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10L

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Thinking of investing in a durable (thinking along the lines of MSR Dromedary or Ortlieb type) water bladder for use in camp.

I was wondering what size to get though. For camp use (i.e. drinking, cooking, washing pots, washing body!) how much do people use per day (in a temperate environment)? I've categorised it into 2L, 3L, 4L, 6L, 8L and 10L as this appears to be the general sizing for water bladders.

If you were to do one trip to the river/spring/stream per day what size of bladder would you carry? I suppose its quite an individual thing but I'm torn between a 4L and 6L and need some one to tell me what to get?! Better to have to much than to little I suppose ......

Many thanks

P.S. Forgot to add that this is assuming that the water source is a little to far to make it convenient to walk to more than once a day ......... probably not a good choice of camp spot but a worst case scenario.

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use a 4L MSR Dromedary, plus one or two 1L Nalgene bottles.
I have a MSR filter that screws onto them for filling.
I don't need more than that, in fact I usually only need the bottles, however, when I settle down for a couple of days, I fill up the bladder.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
really comes down to personal usage.... i am one of those freaks who can run around brecon all day and manage on half a litre of water no problem... then it also depends on what you cook etc....

youve just got to remember that you need to filter or boil whatever you are using i guess... so that is gonna impact on fuel and blah blah blah blah....

once they are rolled down i dont think there is really much difference in size is there?? so its better to have too much space than too little i guess....

i take drom lite 2ltr and 1ltr nalgene with me everywhere and have never used more than that.... between two of us in fact... but i would never camp anywhere that far from water i guess..... just more hassle to carry an extra 6KG!!!!!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
MSR Dromedary - big as I can get - if I don't need as much water, I don't fill it. It's much easier trying to get 5 litres into a 10L one than 5 litres into a 4L or 2L one.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
MSR Dromedary - big as I can get - if I don't need as much water, I don't fill it. It's much easier trying to get 5 litres into a 10L one than 5 litres into a 4L or 2L one.

i couldn't agree more, i use a 10litre ortlieb water bladder but i hardly ever fill it right up, and i nearly always end up pouring some away at the end of the camp. spare water's always a good idea to my mind.

stuart

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
really comes down to personal usage.... i am one of those freaks who can run around brecon all day and manage on half a litre of water no problem... then it also depends on what you cook etc....

Not a freak, you might get away with it for a day, try 500ml for longer periods; not good for you.

I use various water containers, these are very good, light and take up no space when empty and rolled up and the handles are strong enough for you to hang the bladder
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelert-Collap...229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a60853ea5

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Not a freak, you might get away with it for a day, try 500ml for longer periods; not good for you.

I use various water containers, these are very good, light and take up no space when empty and rolled up and the handles are strong enough for you to hang the bladder
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gelert-Collap...229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a60853ea5

have tried it for extended periods in the uk and never really had any problems. working in the jungle as i do though i down water like theres no tomorrow!!! 4 liters wouldnt even come close to my daily intake! hahah

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I often take more than I need in case someone else is short or in case of an accident by the fire.

PREPER.......... :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For the last few trips I've been using a 5L nylon stuffsack. I line it with a bin liner so it doesnt leak. This keeps me in water all day and night. I never camp without those 2 items any way so there is no point in carrying/buying extra. When I go home, the rubbish goes in the bag and my stuff sack gets used again.

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
last view trips i had a 3L bag hanging from my hammock
this also fits in my backbag and in combi with 2 nato bottles (0.75L) i have 4.5L

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Many thanks guys. Food for thought. From the poll it seems as though the average is 4L. Still I think squidders and shaggystu have a point - options options options!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I carry an 10 liter MSR Dromedary however I don't always fill it to the brim if I'm traveling, however if bringing water back to a fixed camp I would fill it up. :)

Last edited:

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-4-l...=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

I use one of these for base camp Seems to be adequate for my needs
I had a slight problem with the original one which may well have been my own fault
Great service from Ortlieb They replaced it without question

I have one of those in black. I bought it because a mate took across Africa, Aisa and Australia over a couple of years, and it's still going strong. Good investment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE