Watches - in or out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Back to basics, i wear mine on the outside (and on my right!) - just seems right that way......

gregorach said:
I'm not entirely sure that a watch really is needed for navigation purposes. In any conditions where you're going to need to navigate by dead-reckoning, your pace is likely to be substantially lower than otherwise. In the past I've normally worked on the assumption that I cover about 4km per hour cross-country with a pack, but practice shows that my pace can vary widely, even in good conditions. Every time I've heard someone talk about serious dead-reckoning navigation, it's invovled counting paces, not measuring time. And I have heard of people making serious navigation errors because they were judging distance by time taken, based on experience in different terrain or conditions.

The only timepiece I usually have with me is my phone, and if I'm out in the wilds it's turned off. Like Ahjno says, you don't need to know what time it is beyond time to get up / eat / pitch camp.
I always used to lose count when I was counting steps, I'd get distracted by something or other, stop to have a look and forget how many steps I'd already done so I got used to timing it. Now I actually try to think about it, it's difficult to explain and seems like it shouldn't work, but somehow it does. Tha only times I've ever been lost is when I was following someone elses directions :rolleyes: Not saying it's the best way, just the way that works for me :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
shinobi said:
errm, I do. :cool: As well as a nomal watch for when it's cloudy. Which is most of the time :D

How accurate is it? What's this about American time???? I've just spent the day dressed in 13th century kit with no watch and it's a real pain trying to organise school visits, etc., round the castle, while scrabbling in a pouch trying to find a watch in amongst everything else. I bought a small fob watch and hung it around my neck, but if the cord is below my neckline the watch jams...sorry tmi :eek: but you get what I mean.
If this little thing works I think I'll need one of the Americans to offer to buy and post a present for me; ( I'd reciprocate, cash or goods, of course) unless anyone knows of a UK source?

Cheers,
Toddy

:eek: Ooops, forgot the thread too :rolleyes:
Dress watch face outside, working watch face inwards, since I don't seem to damage it so much that way and it's easier to see when my hands are busy.

Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Watch wonderings

Face out as it seems to get bashed less.

Why is it that when I'm in work, I can look at my watch occaisionally and only minutes have elapsed - whereas when I'm out, half the day has escaped before I know it.

Hoodoo, thanks for the heads-up about the Sunring thingy, I can feel a project coming on ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Outside, left wrist (even though I'm left handed). My watches always take a punishing so I try to buy ones with recessed faces. Cheap or expensive I always scratch them up so now I always go for cheapish and replace them when they look too battered or get broken.

I want to know what time it is whether I'm camping, walking or working. Doesn't mean I follow a schedule I just like to know what time it is. :)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Outside, left. For me a watch is essential when walking - it's not just to use dead reckoning etc on (because I don't use it anyway), but it tells me a lot about the terrain, and a lot about me. I can easily tell when I'm flagging, or going too hard, which has come in very handy at times - knowing your physical state and the terrain makes a huge impact on decisions when hiking, since I tend to go long distances and always push myself. It also gives me no excuse to take two hours for lunch! :D

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If watch is getting bashed about, why not replace the strap with a leather with protective cover..

strap_prtcvr.jpg

Anyone wet-moulded a watch before? I guess good idea to make sure the watch is waterproof. :)

Looks like could actually make it to fit any existing strap, back piece of leather, and face guard.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I don't wear a watch myself anymore but I liked the one with the protective cover. That way you don't give away the time to just anyone if you don't want. But anyway, I am surrounded by clocks otherwise and I always like to give the impression that I come and go as I please.

However, I found that I needed the time in the woods where I was not surrounded by clocks and other free timekeeping. I needed to know when it was 4:30 and time to get up. Another more significant bit of information I discovered was that on a cold night when I was not wearing my battery powered watch on my wrist (either in or out!), the watch would stop. Once the watch was warmed back up, it started working again. I would just ordinarily wear the watch in a normal fashion but the straps gave out long ago and I never replaced any of them. I couldn't say how old the batteries were or how cold it was.

I have never actually bought a watch. All mine were gifts.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
My watch is a USSR Poljot chronograph. I was on southpat ( southern patrol) on my Icebreaker on a taxpayer paid adventure to Antarctica. We were operating close to a soviet breaker in the pack ice. I was with a crew @ halfway between on the floes. Our lookouts saw a russian fall overboard seemingly unoticed. While the radioman contacted the breaker and our helicopter crew prepared to lift off I grabbed the aid kit and quickmarched to him. He had a concussion and broken arm but was othterwise O.K. My skipper is on the radio asking who was making like Mary Pickford in the Perils of Pauline :p My Chief said " it's Kav, who else and he thinks he's Douglas blankety blank Fairbanks. " :p The russians were much more impressed and in Soviet navy tradition I was presented with a watch for exemplary performance of duties by the Political Officer who WAS NOT the stereotype 'cold fish diehard communist.' I drove everyone nuts later recreating the epic ship's boat voyage of Shakelton; surely one of the greatest feats of navigation in history. I would sit in our ship's boat with my new watch, a ship's sextant ,navigation tables and TRY to plot our course. :confused: My Poljot serves me still, proud and face up on my arm :)

Apr 15, 2004
Ireland
Excellent stuff outta you for the commies mate!
Good stuff is good stuff, regardless of affiliations. Irish way of saying well done that man! And Antarctica was the home of one of my personal heroes, Tom Crean.
I've read about him, visited his pub and his grave, heard nothing bad about him and seems every body who knew him thought he was a hero? I'm inclined to agree, but I am biased!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE