Watch "Lofty Wiseman Survival Team 1980's show" on YouTube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
This is great. Snoods, 'tasches and smoking on aeroplanes: them were the days!

The best thing though is the 'can-do' attitude of the participants. Five days in, Lofty asks the old lady (who it turns out is actually 46!) if she slept well in her shelter. 'Oh no, got soaked twice,' she laughs. 'First time I've had a wash before getting out of bed!'

Today's reality TV contestants would be weeping into their camcorders and calling for a helicopter.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Yes, impressive to see how much more hardy we used to be even just a few years ago. Modern life truly has made us weak!! Nice to see Lofty doing his thing :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't think physicaly weaker, just folks expectations of what's bearable and their expectations have changed.
Now without a holiday abroad and a 40 inch plasma your considered below the poverty line. Well I'm way below it and happy in some ways with that fact.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't think physicaly weaker, just folks expectations of what's bearable and their expectations have changed.
Now without a holiday abroad and a 40 inch plasma your considered below the poverty line. Well I'm way below it and happy in some ways with that fact.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

The stupid thing about poverty is how it is defined. Do you know the definition of child poverty? An income of less than 60% of the average. No definition of being "warm, clothed, housed and well fed". So when people talk about eliminating child poverty, they mean income levelling, nothing to do with hungry children. Daft.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Yes, weaker mentally. Mental attitude overcomes physical inadequacies every time - I saw the scenes where they were in the river or sea, could you imagine most people doing that if there was no hot bath/warm room/fresh clothes waiting for them when they got out? :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I really enjoyed watching that, thanks for posting the link it was good to see Lofty in his prime

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Great stuff. I remember this from the early 80's. More interesting though, is that the experiment was not designed to fail, unlike 10.000bc and the ilk. This is honest tv.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Watched the first two half hour episodes thus morning and enjoyed in spite of YouTube glitching on my Tivo box

Was nice to see MOPS (members of the public as we call them at work) behaving normally and not trying to be smart or generate air time for themselves. And they spoke English as opposed to grunts and gibberish thst is on most reality tv

Looking forward to catching up with the other episodes later

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE