Warm + Waterproof - Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Hi Guys,

I have been browsing these forums almost daily for quite some time now, this however, is my first post. Superb forum you have here from which I have learnt alot!

I am in the market for a new winter jacket and thought I'd ask your opinion on which I should get...

I need it to be warm enough to keep me snug in the coldest british weather (with layers though I guess), waterproof outer fabric ideally, and preferably not too big and bulky.

Budget doesn't matter too much but of course it goes without saying that less expensive is better than more expensive :D

Anyone have any recommendations? - would much appreciate.

Cheers
Greg

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
PS - I saw 'falling rains' post on a waterproof jacket but i'd like to differentiate from that thread in that I need a warm jacket more-so than a waterproof one.

Cheers

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
Hi Greg,
If warmth is a priority over waterproof, try Buffalo (google it). Basically its pertex fabric covered fibre pile. Very warm, windproof and showerproof. I used to use a buffalo mountain shirt (basically a smock) for winter mountaineering and ice climbing, but found it too warm other than when belaying, but I do tend to run a bit hot.
Good functional kit.
cheers
Nick

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a Buffalo Special 6 shirt and like it a lot. I looked recently for a friend who was after similar and the Montane Extreme Smock that comes with a hood and is cheaper seems to be as good or better from quite a few reviews. Not waterproof though - you'll have to have a read about pile+pertex and see if it's going to be for you.

It depends on your use. I think p+p is too warm for general use. Having just recently got a ventile smock, I'd recommend considering something in that fabric.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
after researching it for a bit i grabbed a paramo pajaro jacket - and its amazing.
cost 191 with pricematching from 'go outdoors', and i'm expecting it to last me 5+ years, depending on the treatment it gets. I think it has a lifetime warranty etc. very happy with it.

feels a bit like a snugpak, but with OS map pockets etc. well worth a gander!
cheers

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Paramo very good. I have the Velez Adventure Smock with fixed hood in green (no reflective piping). It's outer fabric is much tougher than it looks (and I have managed to rip ventile on barbed wire...) and I've never melted a hole in it by the fire.

Paramo doesn't get much rep on here for some reason

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I am after a 'proper' jacket this time rather than a smock so Im overlooking the special 6 and snugpak suggestions, although of course good garments!

So far I really like the look of the Paramo Pajaro but it is very pricey, also I am thinking that this might be too warm for activity in the sticks even in winter (opinions?)

Second in line is the Buffalo Mountain jacket which looks very nice, but again i don't really want to buy a jacket that I can ONLY wear when its bloody freezing, what are your thoughts on this?

Not sure what the general consensus here is about craghoppers but I am half tempted to get the 3 in 1 Kiwi jacket (any opinions on this?) Seems quite decent, good price, and the option to take out the fleece would be handy...

Feedback on these three options, what benefits over price, if they'd be too warm etc, would be much appreciated.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I am after a 'proper' jacket this time rather than a smock so Im overlooking the special 6 and snugpak suggestions, although of course good garments!

So far I really like the look of the Paramo Pajaro but it is very pricey, also I am thinking that this might be too warm for activity in the sticks even in winter (opinions?)

Second in line is the Buffalo Mountain jacket which looks very nice, but again i don't really want to buy a jacket that I can ONLY wear when its bloody freezing, what are your thoughts on this?

Not sure what the general consensus here is about craghoppers but I am half tempted to get the 3 in 1 Kiwi jacket (any opinions on this?) Seems quite decent, good price, and the option to take out the fleece would be handy...

Feedback on these three options, what benefits over price, if they'd be too warm etc, would be much appreciated.

When you look at the Craghoppers have a good look at the zip pulls on the pockets.

I've got a fleece, which is ok, but the pocket zip pulls are a joke. It's hard enough to get hold of them with bare hands never mind with gloves on in the winter.

A small point perhaps but it is bloody annoying having to struggle like :cussing: every time you want somat out of your pocket.:rolleyes:

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Thanks BorderReiver, good point.

Johnnytheboy: Yes I think this is more what I am after, rather than one super warm jacket.

Any suggestions?

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
I'd really like to have some advice on wether the Buffalo mountain jacket would be too warm for general wear in british winter? It seems to be the best for price/quality but don't want to only be able to wear it on the coldest days

yogi

Jul 9, 2008
chichester
Hi creg have a look at the fishing web sites they have some realy good jacket's.
I have a shimano tribal XT realtree very warm waterproof breatheble and soft touch so no noise when you are stalking.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
its hard to say if you dont say what activity you intend to pursue....
horses for courses and all that

True.

Well it would be for general winter use I guess. Sitting around the campfire, hunting, walking, setting up camp, fishing...

I have a snugpak sleeka and various water proof shells so I have opted for the nice warm buffalo mountain jacket, I shall let you all know what I think of it when it arrives next week.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I was going to say that I wouldn't recommend a Buffalo for sitting round the campfire - they don't like sparks, but as you've ordered I won't. I'm sure it will be fine! :D

My mate has the Buffalo jacket - he prefers venting as a conventional jacket over the pit zips of the smocks. He loves his; but he spends a lot of time in places like Canada, Russia and Afghanistan.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
I was going to say that I wouldn't recommend a Buffalo for sitting round the campfire - they don't like sparks, but as you've ordered I won't. I'm sure it will be fine! :D

Haha, thanks!

Well, I got tired of the seemingly never ending decisions so I just ordered the one I seemed to like the best. I will try it on and test it out and can always send it back if its not quite what I want. It looks great though.

Thanks again for all input.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE