Warm + Waterproof - Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
uk
So far I really like the look of the Paramo Pajaro but it is very pricey, also I am thinking that this might be too warm for activity in the sticks even in winter (opinions?)

Feedback on these three options, what benefits over price, if they'd be too warm etc, would be much appreciated.

i literally have only had it a week or so, but it just feels bang on so far. Supposed to be up nr snowdon next week, i really cant imagine the coat being too warm! :)
Obviously if you're working very hard you'll overheat - but no coat is 100% breathable i guess. I was slogging up and down in the brecons last week in shorts + cotton t-shirt with frost on my face, and i was still sweating like a tramp eating chips. that t-shirt was perfectly breathable :) i was just yakkering hard (for me)

I bought it mainly for wildlife watching/ photography, so i be still for long periods of time once i've reached my chosen spot - and if you're up in the uk mountains in the middle of winter you really dont care if the coat thats keeping you comfy cost more than a couple of nights out on the beer and a tank of fuel. I expect this coat to last me years, divided out per year £191 is next to nothing. Spending £100 on something i only wear once is what i would call expensive :)
The OS map pockets are a very good idea - two of them is perfect as it seems like everywhere i go that i need a map for is always on the bloody edge!

I'll let you know how i rate it when i get back,
cheers

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
If you're looking at Buffalo and Snugpack, also consider Montane too. I was in the same position as you and got the Montane exteme jacket - same as the smocks already mentioned but full length zip. The bonus being that their factory outlet is up this way so half price! :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I love my Barbour in the Winter and I have a liner which can fit in for those really cold days, bit weighty I admit but bombproof and lasts a lifetime if looked after.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
wont be getting to snowdon to test it now :(, but spent the day out on the peak district nat park getting close up to the rutting red stags - coat didnt even come out the bag...

I'll let you know how good it is against the cold and wet when i find out myself!

what i can tell you is it screws up dead small and fits in a little rucksac, bonus.

what i would like on the jacket is the 'yoke' or rucksack straps that some brands have (chevalier i think amoungst others)
i dont really see why most outdoors coats dont have them....
does the bcuk coat have them? might be worth recommending it if anyone knows the powers that be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE