WANTED: Weihrauch HW80/80k air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all.

I really hope one of you has a HW80 in .22 flavour thats in good nick that you don't want anymore. I 'm dead set on this air rifle for many reasons but mostly becuase it is FAC-upgradable in the future if I should procure a FAC license. I'm not sure what calibre I should get this gun in yet. It will be used almost exclusively to hunt small game, though.

I have various posessions that I'm willing to swap for a HW80 including...

1. iPod Touch 8GB 1st generation (maybe second?) comes with original packaging, but I've lost the USB transfer cable and the earphones snapped so need replacing! The shiny back is covered in hair-line scratches but nothing deep and nasty.
2. iPod speaker station unit (forgot the brand)
3. Land Rover Catapaxi Defender mountain bike purchased in 2005 for £500. MINT and I mean MINT condition, only the saddles leather is coming loose.
4. Panasonic NN-A574SBBPQ Stainless Steel Inverter 1000 Watt 27 Litre Combination Microwave Oven. Used only a few times and been stored away since. MINT condition and comes with all accessories and the manual. Worth £170 even today!
5. Various bulk packs of quality laminate flooring

...that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll add anything else I have of value later, and I'll also add some pics, too.
My cousins are coming over this June from the states and we want to go hunting together, so I really don't want to let them down!

p.s I live in Nottingham.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I too am looking for an HW80 (in .22).

I sold mine a few years back (it was doing 18ft lbs and I didn't have an FAC) and got an HW77 in .177.

It's a great air rifle and although I haven't had to work out the range/turret adjustment every five yards etc like I did with my 80, but I just haven't fallen in love with it.

Good luck.

Liam

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
have a look on the airgun forums www.airgunbbs.com and www.airgunforum.co.uk you can usually find some good deals on there. the 80 and 80k do have reputations as being horrible to shoot sub-12fl/lbs though because they were designed for foreign markets without the limit. you'll probably need to tune them to get them to shoot smoothly

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Also, I would respectfully question the wisdom of choosing the HW80 because it is easy to upgrade to FAC-levels in the near future. FAC air-rifles are of questionable use; you pay money to drop the resale value of the gun, you have to relearn the trajectory and you only get a little more flexability/range/power -- and all that's aside from the FAC-type awkwardness -- cabinet, paperwork, possible land inspections, possible home security upgrades, £50 admin fee every 5 years, £26 admin fee if you want to increase the number of guns etc.

You can get a simple .22LR rifle for very little money. Ammo is about 5-6p per round and you get a 100+ ft/lb rifle that can shoot bunnies out to over 100 yards, and larger game at shorter range. Stick a moderator on the front and use subsonic ammo and it's as quiet as you like. Maintenance costs and paraphenalia are very small -- virtually zero. Plus you are more likely to easily upgrade to something a bit 'pokier' if you want to in future -- for deer or foxes for instance.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I have some FAC air rifles at 15-20 ft/lbs. The range isn't so spectacularly better than a 12 ft/lb model. If I had to jump through hoops to satisfy FAC legislation, I certainly wouldn't bother with FAC just to get an extra 5-10 metres of range. Also the recoil from higher power springers is increased, so you can find that your range is increased slightly, but your accuracy goes out the window, and you can't make a clean kill anyway.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Thanks for the links Wattsy, I'll post this thread on those forums, too.
Matt.S I intend to tune kit the rifle and from what I hear it renders the HW80 as smooth to fire as any.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Okay mate, far be it for me to tell you how to spend your time/money. I'm just saying it might be better to choose a rifle that suits your current situation rather than limiting yourself to a specific rifle that offers a certain, very limited and arguably near-nonexistant advantage.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Yeah thanks for the suggestions, I do appreciate it making me question these things. I originally wanted the HW95 but I am dead set on having the ability to upgrade to FAC in the future. I don't intend to kill deer or larger game as there is no place in Nottingham to do that. I intend to get a FAC when I have procured proper land permission. Untill then I will be "hunting" in the garden and my allotmont.

I have just sold the Microwave so that's no longer available for swaps.
I've included a quality carry pouch for the iPod with belt loop.
Along with the already mentioned stratched nickel back there's also a small scratch at the top left area on the front side which you can barely make out if you look closely at the photo...

itkp0reu500vt281ayek.jpg
kgch0vuupg0c4itty1c.jpg
85i47amlx63wq1qhgpiw.jpg

1sxny3ftblazb6tdig0n.jpg
q222qmsbdr62vl77ix.jpg
h9veur4j06j8t7hgyat3.jpg

9arrc0bbtlu1xdggmikj.jpg
htz7dolkaqkc4wb0.jpg
ocxel47ak4qb93zfyj27.jpg

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just realised this minute that the HW80K comes without irons sights. Iron sights are a must have for me so I am now only after the HW80 in .22 calibre. Could a mod please edit this threads' title to omit the "80k" please.

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Have you really thought this out?The more power you have = greater range,but the longer the range you are shooting at the more the target becomes obscured by the foresight.After about 45 yds you'll be guessing at the correct elevation as you won't be able to see the target.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I am good with iron sights. I used to be in the shooting team in my Cadet company year after year and we never used a SUSAT. Always irons! I know it's different with air guns, though.
I do intend to scope my HW80 soon after I get it, but I like the peace of mind of having a permanent sighting system should the scope break.
By the way I've now just read a few people saying the HW80k does indeed come with iron sights. Has anyone actually got a definitive answer to this? Even Weihrauchs website has a picture of a HW80 on it's HW80k page!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
quick update.

I have £250 cash I'm willing to spend on a mint condition HW80 or HW80k (WITH iron sights fitted) but I'd rather trade with my posessions listed above and part-pay with cash, but either way is fine.

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
i think your be very lucky to get HW80K or HW95 in mint condition for 250 quid. maybe try airgun forums all the best with that.
quick update.

I have £250 cash I'm willing to spend on a mint condition HW80 or HW80k (WITH iron sights fitted) but I'd rather trade with my posessions listed above and part-pay with cash, but either way is fine.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
not offering a gun sorry but im a gunsmith and worked on these a lot for the shops i have worked in in another life lol any advice or work upgreading replacment parts etc feel free to drop me a pm

get a .22 its much more efficient at higher energy lvls than a .177 my best is just under 17flb in with just a spring and polish and a few other things i aint telling you :)
unless you pm me ofc lol with a milling machine you can get them to 23 flb and if you go all out maybe 28flb but to be honest i cant do that as you need a longer barrel etc
there is a much simpler way to get a decent fac powered air rifle (IF YOU HAVE A TICKET for one ofc dont want to get in trouble here) pm me for the details ill get told off im sure if i post it here.

ps get airgunner and airgun world magazines they still come up for sale from time to time but £250 is a bit short as almost no one sells just the rifle usually a scope bag strap laser blah blah .

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Well i'll certainly hire you out if I ever get to FAC my HW80 in the future :D
Would going over 20flb do damage to the rifle, at all??

And guys £250 seems more than adequate for a s/h HW80/95. From what I see on guntrader.co.uk and the sales section on forums, £250 is the upper-end of the prices wereas £225 seems to be the norm for "excellet condition".

??

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
main reason 20flb on a break barrel air rifle is bad fot it is it has a tendancy to split the woodwork through the pistol grip area i did this on a theoben once that was only pushing out 18 flb remember a spring in a .22 that pushes out legal limit is still around 69 flb to compress thats how in efficiant air rifles are there are precharged guns on the market that are much easy,r to put over the limit (( as in useing a pen spring in conjuction with the hammer spring lol 15p maybe for an extra 10flb ? just need to know what one to buy) + its recoil free, lot to be said for self sufficency in a rifle but most modern air rifles will do 200 shots on a charge real hunting terms thats weeks before refils only down side to FAC pre charged rifles is ...200 shots at 12 flb can become as few as 10 shots at 24 flb again even precharged pnumatics are vary bad at what they do

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i've got an hw90 in .22 with a tasco 2.5-10 x 40 scope if you're interested? no iron sights but the scope is really good anyway and it'll last forever as long as you take care of it. the hw90 uses a gas ram so if you want to up the power you can take it to a gunshop and ask them to pump it up for you. i've not had this gun long but it shoots smooth and its dead accurate only selling because i've seen a theoben in .20 flavour that i want

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE