Wanted: Junior Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Matt, I have an old Meteor that will do the job for plinking. It is in fair condition for its' age, I was gonna get it stripped and done up but the cost isn't worth it. I may still take the action out and get the shop to release the spring for me, do the work and then take it back for them to reseat the spring, etc. It shoots just over 9 ft lbs after its' last chrono, with a bit of dieseling and some nice smoke after each shot! Very Clint Eastwood! The scope is knacked though, so not really up to much, but after a new scope or fitting of some iron sights, it would be good to go for some back yard plinking and ratting maybe.

If you're interested, give me a shout, I found it in the attic, didn't pay a bean for it so it would be yours for free.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
That's so good of you mate but I ended up calling into Manchester Air Guns on the way home and buying a junior SMK for £45. It's for the lads birthday and he's proper chuffed with it.

Thanks all the same Spam - another shining example of the kindness here :You_Rock_

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Matt, I have an old Meteor that will do the job for plinking. It is in fair condition for its' age, I was gonna get it stripped and done up but the cost isn't worth it. I may still take the action out and get the shop to release the spring for me, do the work and then take it back for them to reseat the spring, etc. It shoots just over 9 ft lbs after its' last chrono, with a bit of dieseling and some nice smoke after each shot! Very Clint Eastwood! The scope is knacked though, so not really up to much, but after a new scope or fitting of some iron sights, it would be good to go for some back yard plinking and ratting maybe.

If you're interested, give me a shout, I found it in the attic, didn't pay a bean for it so it would be yours for free.

Interested in a swap for it as matt has something? I have a lot of hunting/fishing stuff that you might be interested in? I also have alot of other things if you'd like?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Could be. I'll have a word in the local gun shop next time about getting the action stripped as I am keen to give it a go, unless you wanted to use it for a project rifle yourself. It has some nasty engraving on the barrel and breech block as I recall that would easily grind out and either re-blue or polish the metalwork to a bling standard. I think the idea came from a rifle posted here last year some time. As I say, it isn't a full power rifle but could certainly be pressed into service as a first rifle for a son or even for use in a Scout Troop, if they allow such things these days! It would be fine for learning the principles of shooting on, and also the safety aspects too.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm sure it was possible once. I was just wondering why I couldn't edit it. Saying that, it gives us something to whinge about on a Friday night, so it can't be all that bad!

:D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I couldn't find a decent rifle at the price I could afford for my boy this past Christmas so I got hold of a second hand airsporter then cut and reshaped the stock and it's lovely :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I couldn't find a decent rifle at the price I could afford for my boy this past Christmas so I got hold of a second hand airsporter then cut and reshaped the stock and it's lovely :D

I suppose you have to rate 'decent' against the job it's intended for and the SMK I bought him is for mainly target shooting and the occasional ratty on the allotments if he fancies it so at £45 it's decent enough for his needs yet. If you don't mind me asking Tony how old is your lad and what's his quarry?

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I suppose you have to rate 'decent' against the job it's intended for and the SMK I bought him is for mainly target shooting and the occasional ratty on the allotments if he fancies it so at £45 it's decent enough for his needs yet. If you don't mind me asking Tony how old is your lad and what's his quarry?

Is that the chinese made air rifles I have owned and used many rifles air,centre, and rimfire as well as air weapons, over the years and im afraid the old adage lives on you get what you pay for and they fall very short of the mark it may have the adverse affect on the kid instead of getting him into shooting it may put him off as they have a very poor build quality and are extremely hard to zero personally I would have bought a good second hand model this is a purely personal comment and not a reflection on your good intentions

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
There is a good second hand air rifle stall at the CLA Gamefair. Worth visiting for all sorts of bits and bobs that you may want.
Swyn.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Off to try an afternoons plinking with my sons new SMK underlever so we'll see how it goes. We'll spend some time zeroing it in, blowing the oil out of the barrel etc....

Got to do something, we were planning on going camping at Gelli but the weather is a bit dodgy for the children.

£50 for the rifle from Cardigan. Will report back afterwards on how accurate it is.

Richard

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

He's just turned 10 and it's for Pheasant, Rats, Rabbits, Squirrels, targets, cans, chip shop forks (they're great targets :D ) and the like. OT be honest he's not that enthused, i used to love going out on my own etc but he tends to go for it when i'm doing it. (before anyone asks I'm rural, he'd not be walking the streets with it :D )

The rifle cost me £50 (no scope) and it was in great nick, I probably spent about two hours working on it, it's got a lovely leather sling that he really liked.

Yeah, saying decent wasn't a put down on the SMK but my feelings of what I was after for Thorin. Years ago there seemed to be a lot more junior rifles about.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Is that the chinese made air rifles I have owned and used many rifles air,centre, and rimfire as well as air weapons, over the years and im afraid the old adage lives on you get what you pay for and they fall very short of the mark it may have the adverse affect on the kid instead of getting him into shooting it may put him off as they have a very poor build quality and are extremely hard to zero personally I would have bought a good second hand model this is a purely personal comment and not a reflection on your good intentions

...Yeah, saying decent wasn't a put down on the SMK but my feelings of what I was after for Thorin. Years ago there seemed to be a lot more junior rifles about.

No offence taken chaps :)

Of course there are varying qualities and I would have preferred to buy him a quality second hand rifle hence the plea post you you guys in the first place.

Unfortunately I kind of shot myself in the foot (fnar fnar) and left it far too late in the day as it's his birthday today so was a in a bit of a quandary.

Still, as I say for what it is it's not a bad little plinker. I let him have it over the weekend and he's gone through the best part of a tin of pellets already, he loves it so everyone's happy.

If he continues with the interest then he can always upgrade in the future :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE