Want a career as a bushcraft instructor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Friend of mine has taken over the famous NVQ level 4 Cert Bushcraft Instructors Course developed by John Rhyder of The Woodcraft School

Phil has been the assistant instructor on Mr Ryder's course for the past 10 years

He takes over the course this year - an outstanding naturalist, Phil's love for nature is exceeded only by his passion for his students

Check out

http://www.chosenpathsbushcraft.co.uk/certificate-in-bushcraft-leadership-ncfe-iiq-level-4/

PS - I did this course last year - it is simply outstanding

Last edited:

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Would it suitable for complete noobs? I know that sounds a stupid question but some courses take you through the skill levels required to instruct.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Not a stupid question at all - I think you need at least a basic level of skill otherwise it might be a hell of a challenge

The course deals with things like fire, water filtration, shelters, knife work etc (the standard things associated with a basic level of bushcraft) in the first few days

The course goes way beyond basic camp craft and the pace is rapid and unrelenting

5 full days a month in the woods (in a hammock in my case) but also expect to put in anything from 10 to 40 hours of extra study in between

The final 2 or 3 months are targeted at converting those learned skills into the 'classroom' and learning to deliver lessons/courses

It is a professionally delivered curriculum and you come out the other side with a hugely increased level of skill and knowledge

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Out of interest, what is the national average annual wage of a bushcraft instructor then? [Yes it must vary widely, yes different schools, and experiences offer different packages Im sure, but thats why I asked for the median or national average. A pound Figure. :)]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No Im sure, just wondered mate. I have this sneaky suspicion its a lot lower than it should be. :)

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Out of interest, what is the national average annual wage of a bushcraft instructor then? [Yes it must vary widely, yes different schools, and experiences offer different packages Im sure, but thats why I asked for the median or national average. A pound Figure. :)]

I pay my guys £100 a day for a day course and £300 for a weekend. There are very few full time guys out there, those that are run their own company's

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I pay my guys £100 a day for a day course and £300 for a weekend. There are very few full time guys out there, those that are run their own company's

Hier John. That doesnt answer my question. In fact thats why I specified my question to the national median. But no problem. Thankks for the input.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Hier John. That doesnt answer my question. In fact thats why I specified my question to the national median. But no problem. Thankks for the input.

I would be interested as well, but I don't know how you would find out. Based on other outdoor education professionals I expect it would be in 25,000 a year mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do some "part time" Bushcraft instruction. I generally charge £100 per day but for big commercial deals it goes up to £150 and £100 for a night. I would not do Stag does for £1000s. For charities and truly disadvantaged groups (ie those with physical or learning disability) I charge a lesser amount ... but then that is the field I work in. Sometimes I work for free ... it all depends on how I like the work :)
I have no idea of a "National Average" for this kind of work.
I have so many strings to my bow I do not know which is the main one - writing, craft work, instruction, Care work... at various times each has brought in the most of my pitiful earnings - in recent years the Care Work is leading the way ... but then where I do Care work now that includes Bushcraft instruction and Craft work!
I wake up each day with anticipation - not trepidation:)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
There are often similar threads to this on a climbing website I look at. The conclusion seems to be that there is close to an over supply of instructors and limited demand, so you wont get rich. Do it if you feel you need to, but mostly its seasonal short term self employed gigs, that suits some, not all.
Is this fair ? Hugely skilled highly trained professionals working for poor rates and no security ? I dont know, but I do know that I decided it was not for me. Best of luck to those who do it. My suspicion is that if you are too concerned about therates of pay, it aint for you. Just my thoughts.

Sep 14, 2017
Preston
I'm curious as to the requirements on paper to be classed as a bushcraft instructor as im looking at working my way up from a nfce level 2 through to the level 4 instructor course and also what insurance people have that gives good coverage for a good price.

Any insite would be great. Im aware that paper doesnt mean knowledge but i'd still like them to give me reassurance.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I have never meet anyone in 51 one years that has ever called money ‘fiat-currency’!

I can also tell you that while it is a pleasure to earn a living instructing, my mortgage company do insist on payment in actual money rather than payment ‘in nature’.

I’d also suggest that if you want to instruct in any subject you need to get out the house, learn your ‘craft’ and keep practising and perfecting so you are confident to pass those skills on.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE