Walk and camping the West Highland Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
So me and a friend are planning on walking and camping the west highland way next month.
Looking forward to it a lot and my gear list is coming along nicely.
Has anyone else walked the whole route while camping? If so any advice ? :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Frampi,

Did the route once back in the late 80's. Though did it from Ft. William down. Was fun though disheartning to see everyone coming towards you with a small rucksack or worse carrier bag because they were b&bing it and getting stuff carried between for them. (Also my pal bust his knee on the first day and had to carry a lot of his kit (I was carrying too much anyway). Good thing about camping is you don't have to do set distances you can stop where you like (within reason) though try to camp away from the path. There are some good supply points along the way and the scotch broth with scone bread at the GreenWelly is worth the walk alone :) Certain places are less walker/camper friendly these days, the Kings House seems to have a downer on folk with no polished shoes even though us climbers kept the place going in lean years.
There are some pretty awful sections Drymen to Milngavie I would personally miss out, to be quite honest especially in summer I'd miss out between Milngavie and Crianlarich but that's me trying to avoid crowds and human poo everywhere. There are loads of books and websites supporting the WHW industry all I'll say is travel lightish, have really good well walked in boots, take the anti-midge patches and get in lots of road mile practice as parts are a bit of a slog. Have fun, and at least youre doing it before it's too busy and midgied up.
Good to hear how you get on,
GB.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Done half of it twice(due at the time to work/hols) both times from Crainlarich -to Fort William,have been considering doing it this year,as its a good ten since last i did, camped at Bridge of Orchy night one(both times) and just outside Kinlochleven second night(both times) Got train back down from Fort Bill to Crainlarich. Most ate along the way(forget the name of pub in tyndrum)then at Bridge of O again at kings house and lastly at a pub in Kinlochleven(agani name slips me) then had a few beers in a Pub at Fort Bill (opposite station)whilst waiting for train.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Next month may mean burning sun or snow !

I would make sure you have enough warm kit eg down jacket, thermals. Unless you are really fit, wearing trainers for some flatter trail sections eg Milngavie to Balmaha, Victoria Bridge to Glencoe Ski centre etc, may seem odd but it can really reduce fatigue. Still take walking boot for the other bits though.

The Hotel at Inversnaid is often shut to passing visitors, so don't rely on it for a break/refreshments. That section from north of Rowardennan to Doune Bothy/Benglas Farm/Inverarnan can be really tough. It's been dry lately so you may have a low mud section there.

Have fun

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Thanks for the comments guys :)

The Hotel at Inversnaid is often shut to passing visitors, so don't rely on it for a break/refreshments.

Good info there will be sure to plan around that and not rely on it.

Hoping that doing it before "summer" will cut down the amount of people on the walk.

Got my map delivered yesterday so going to sit down with the other guy and plan stops/camping areas tomorrow.

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Well.......it seems the person that was supposed to be walking and camping with me has now bailed out.

Don't really know anyone else that would be up for camping it...so i am faced with the option of going solo or taking a shorter trip somewhere a little more local.

Is a bit of a bummer....pretty disappointed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a bummer Frampi, You could do it on your own (I like the hills better that way). But as long as you can get away and do something it'll be all good. No other pals fancy it?
Hope you get to do something.
GB.

(See there's serial killer Jag009 offering to go with you... Kidding I hear he's a nice bloke)

Last edited:

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Yeah i will def get out somewhere ....as i have had the time booked off work for months.

Walking with someone would be great however i wouldn't want to hold anybody back walking wise.....the guy i was planning on going with was the same as me (i.e this being the first "big" walk that we would be embarking on)

I have booked a week off starting march 10th.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Good info there will be sure to plan around that and not rely on it.

Hoping that doing it before "summer" will cut down the amount of people on the walk.

Got my map delivered yesterday so going to sit down with the other guy and plan stops/camping areas tomorrow.

You will be able to camp anywhere really, don't worry about that. The Glencoe Ski centre is the first refreshment/food stop after Bridge of Orchy. Beware that the Tyndrum to Bridge of Orchy leg is quite winding and long.

May onwards is a tad busier. If you buy a can of coke or sandwich in the pubs or hotels, they won't mind you fill up your water bottle in the toilets. At least at this time of year you should not overheat too much.

Jimmy.S.

Nov 25, 2012
Edinburgh
Hey there Frampi, firstly assess what gear you will need, everything you "should" need should fit inside a 60-65ltr pack. GO AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE, avoid packing loads of tinned goods etc, there's plenty stops along the way to re-supply. Take advantage of the "honesty shops" dotted about along the route, drop a couple of quid in, help yourself to coffee/tea/ bottle of water and cookie, have a wee break.
Seriously, excess weight is a real issue here, after balmaha on to Rowendennan you'll encounter some pretty harsh ascents and descents, harsh on the ankles. I've stopped for a pint in the clansman in Rowendennan and seen a good number of folk throw in the towel at this point due to sprained ankles.

I'd say, get yourself a copy of the footprint map before you set off, plan your stops for supplies etc. Take it easy and enjoy it, don't try to do massive distances each day. Take some smidge, midgy repellent and a head net (its a must). Happy trails

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
WHW was my first "big" walk. I went with 2 friends, one of whom literally had the carrier bag as they were B & B'ing. I on the other hand had a 100 ltr rucksac with various assorted household appliances (kitchen sink) tied to the outside of it. It was a great walk and a very quick learning curve.

(If anyone finds a baby grand piano round about Balmaha, just let me know if it's still in tune)

Andy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Well.......it seems the person that was supposed to be walking and camping with me has now bailed out.

Don't really know anyone else that would be up for camping it...so i am faced with the option of going solo or taking a shorter trip somewhere a little more local.

Is a bit of a bummer....pretty disappointed.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to walk it 'solo'?

I walked it a while back, it isn't a particularly hard walk, some nice scenery to see, you might meet folks on the way you can tag along for a bit with.

Advice, regardless of what the weatherman might say, always plan for rain every day and night that you will be walking, lots of bin bags/dry bags.

Have fun.

:)

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Hey not updated this as i been pretty swamped with work and things.

I am not the most confident in doing it solo if i am honest.
I was going to walk it with JAG however he cant do it anymore as some stuff has come up.

So i have the time off work anyway think i am going to head out somewhere not too far away, i know a few nice spots. Take my axe and wee carving tools which i havent really had a chance to put to good use yet and just chill out for a couple days pottering about :D.

Frampi

Apr 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Hmmm i did think about it solo
However having not done a load of walking and camping i was a bit wary and then seeing the forecast/ snow this morning kinda made up my mind a bit for me haha. I still have about 3 weeks holiday to take before june so will no doubt get another chance to do it :D

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
With good clothes, gloves and gear you will be warm, even overheat walking. As long as you have decent shelter and sleeping bag, no worries. It's also dark at 6.30pm so longer days and - no midges - that would be the decider for me !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE