Vulcan or Sabre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
That's true but usually they come in size 2 or (rarely) 3. Funny, given the length of the average dutch guy... Some 10 years ago I bought a Vulcan, ignorant with regard to the size system, and it is a size 2. I'm 1.93 cm but used the Vulcan a lot without ever experiencing a problem. It's a confortable pack even if it's not my size.

PS DDokkum: like your quote, it's Sgt Gunny Highway in't it?:cool:

I have the advantage being in the royal marine corps and we are outfitted with the vulcans.
I have to say we used to be. At the moment we have the lowe alpine serie but they are going to be replaced by the berghaus vulcan again. Because there are a lot of injuries with the new lowe alpine backpacks. So we will see these backpacks on "marktplaats" even more.

And yes it is, Gunny said it in heartbreak ridge.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Damn you Karl5, you have not made my descision any easier :D

One last question (so far): What back length Vulcan do you have, and how does it compare to the Sabre back length?

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I've got the size 3 Vulcan. I'm 1.77 and it fits me perfectly.
I don't know the exact back length of the Sabre (never measured it), but it's definitely too short for me.
I think the Vulcan sizes that Big_Swede gave before (in this thread) are close to the truth.

Cheers,
/ Karl

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I don't know how much longer it is.
What I do know is that I can't put any weight on the hip-belt if I adjust the shoulder straps correctly, as the hip-belt will end up more on my waist than on top of my hipbones (where it belongs).
Additionally, I find the shoulder strap tensioners to be too low on the Sabre. Even when I do have the straps in a correct way, the tensioners tend be level with my shoulders or even point downwards a bit. On a good set-up they should go from your shoulder and then upwards at an angle up to the fastening point on the sack itself.
The lack of this does in fact make the Sabre back length feel even shorter than what it actually is/could be.

The best advice I can give you is to find a shop and go try out the sizes.
That really is the very best way to find the correct size.

/ Karl

U

unamodo

Well, the Vulcan that I ordered yesterday arrived this morning and I have just had chance to have a quick play around with it.

As said before it doesn't have as many fancy features as the Sabre but straight away I noticed a big difference in quality. The Sabre that I tried felt a little 'Floppy' where as the Vulcan stands up straight and is very well supported against my back.

The waist belt on the Vulcan sits lower on my hips and feels great when I have just tested it with approx 25kg in the bag where as the Sabre sat higher up and felt as though it was digging into my waist.

The weight definatly is greater but the material feels thicker and more durable. The only complaint I have of the Vulcan is the belt fastener. On the Sabre it was a simple quick release buckle but on the Vulcan it is 2 pieces of plastic that just lock into one another.

The Vulcan also has a zipper around the bottom to access the bottom of the pack which is probably not something I will use and my only concern is just how durable that zipper is in the longrun.

Overall, I am more than happy with the Berghaus on initial inspection and feel I have made the better choice with the Berghaus. I am also impressed with the price of £140 as opposed to the £150 for the Sabre plus £30 for the side pouches.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Well, the Vulcan that I ordered yesterday arrived this morning and I have just had chance to have a quick play around with it.

Congratulations on a great choice!! :)

The waist belt on the Vulcan sits lower on my hips and feels great when I have just tested it with approx 25kg in the bag where as the Sabre sat higher up and felt as though it was digging into my waist.

Make sure the belt covers your hip bones, then you've got it at the right place.
The Sabre belt probably ended up above your hip bones. That's when it feels like digging into your waist and starts restricting your breathing.

The only complaint I have of the Vulcan is the belt fastener. On the Sabre it was a simple quick release buckle but on the Vulcan it is 2 pieces of plastic that just lock into one another.

I felt like that as well at the beginning.
After having used it, however, I see why they've chosen this solution: Reason is that it's virtually indestructible. Try stepping on one of the quick release buckles in the cold winter, and it'll surely break. The Vulcan buckle won't... :cool:
The Vulcan version is also easier to handle with mittens on.
I promise, after you've used it a couple of times, you'll get used to it.

The Vulcan also has a zipper around the bottom to access the bottom of the pack which is probably not something I will use and my only concern is just how durable that zipper is in the longrun.

I don't use this very often, so maybe I'm not the best reference.
However, I've had my Vulcan for 12 years now and have used and abused it in all climates in all kinds of situations. The zippers have yet to show any wear and tear.

/ Karl

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
unamodo> I'm glad you got a backpack you like :)
What size did you get?

The Sabre was/is designed as a mountaineer backpack, so i guess thats why the back is softer, as to allow more freedom of movement. For that task i can also imagine that it would be a bad idea to bring 40-50kgs of stuff :D

Karl5> Sadly no stores here stock the berghaus vulcan, so i'm left to internet ordering (as i was with the sabre). So i really need to do some proper research at home :)
If you got the size 3 and you feel it's longer than the Sabre, then i think a size 3 would also be my size. Despite my overall height of 6'5", my back is actually not very long.

I think I will stick to the sabre for now, and see how it fares on a longer trip, before i go wild and gets another backpack (already two this month O.O). I have no need for super-carrying capabilities (which is also why i'm selling my Bergans Alpinist I), so perhaps the Sabre will be up to my requirements after all (i really hope so :D).

U

unamodo

Hi Mikkel,

I am 6' 5" and went for the size 4. I cannot put my finger on why, but it just feels 5 times better then the Sabre did. I have nothing against Karrimor SF range and have already owned a Sabre 30, 35 and 45.

I have now just upped the weight to my maximum of 30kg which is everything I need for an upcoming trip including 7 days of food, 3 litres water, tent, sleep mat, stove, fuel, axe, water treatment, panset etc etc and went for a quick 3 mile tab to test. Have returned home feeling absolutly fine, no aches or rubbing spots whatsoever.

I have however just found a couple of padded straps in the lid of the Vulcan and have no idea what they are for!!!

Karl5, thanks for the info. After a little adjustment it covered my hipbone fine and felt great. Will persevere with this bloody belt fastner :)

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I have however just found a couple of padded straps in the lid of the Vulcan and have no idea what they are for!!!

As bikething said: They are the shoulderstraps for when making the side pockets into a small daypack.
Take the side pockets of the pack, then zip them together along the side with one set of zippers. The velcro strips at the top and bottom of the zips can be used to hold the ends of the pockets better fastened together. Put the the padded straps into the buckles at the backside of the pockets.
Done - You've now got a small daypack. :)

Karl5, thanks for the info. After a little adjustment it covered my hipbone fine and felt great. Will persevere with this bloody belt fastner :)

Excellent!! Glad to be of help.
I promise you'll get used to the belt fastener.
You'll even start to wonder why not every rucksack has it...

/ Karl

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Have anyone here actually done a side-by-side comparison of the two?
It sounds everyone are just promoting the thing they have themselves purchased? (as i also did).

I belive both packs are nice, based on reviews of both, and my own handleing of my sabre. But one must always remember that the best backpack is the one that fits you perfectly :)

One sidenote: How good does the bottom and sidepouch attachment zippers hold up on the vulcan? it seems a little odd that there are no supporting straps to make sure the zippers don't go bust under stress.

Yes. My mate uses a Vulcan exclusively for years and I have used it too to compare to my S 75. The Vulcan has magical abilities to just make weight disappear. Maybe the Sabre would if it was long enough for my back. My next trick will involve a Sabre 80-130. I only need an extra couple of inches in the back and i personally prefer the Karrimor design. I agree that the Vulcan is bombproof, but i look after my kit and the Karrimors I have still look like new despite abuse..

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I spent half of last week wandering around Scottish mountains with a Berghaus Atlas, very similar to the Vulcan.
It was definitely one of my better purchases, so I would imagine your Vulcan will be too.
Enough kit and supplies to last four or five days up there, together with climbing gear isn't light, but it's strong and makes the weight feel much much less.
On another note if anyone wants a very strong but light winter tent I can highly recommend a Mk 1 XL by Integral Designs in Canada

U

unamodo

I will actually be using the Vulcan for some Scotish hiking. I spent a while looking for a lightweight tent to take with me before finally pruchasing the Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2XT. I have managed to get the weight down to just over 2kg by ditching the carry bag, spares and replacing the (already lightweight) pegs with (even lighter) titanuim ones.

Weight has never been too much of an issue for me in the past but for this trip I intend to go fully self sufficient and will also be walking in excess of 100 miles in 5 days so have spent a while shedding the pounds. I have replaced my full size Prolite4 with a short Prolite3 and am taking my MSR Whisperlite instead of the XGK EX. I am also only taking 1 titanium pan not 2 and will only be carrying 2 litres of water at a time (instead of a 6 litr dromedary bag) and using the MSR miniworks ex wherever possible.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
i too was torn between the sabre and the vulcan:dunno: but now i think it has to be the vulcan all the way!! i shall be ordering first thing monday. where is the cheapest place to order from? secondly i'm 5ft 10, possibly 5ft 11. which size should i go for?

Thanks as always! :D

Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE