Vulcan or Sabre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
U

unamodo

Hi, I currently use a Karimor Sabre 45 with side pouches but am wanting to upgrade to a bigger pack (Approx 100ltrs) I was looking at the Sabre 75 but cannot find any recommended size guides. As I am 6' 5" I am unsure if this will be a suitable fit. I have also seen a Berghaus Vulcan which is available in a size 4 to fit.

Has anyone used either of these packs? Which has the better build quality and is the Sabre 75 too small for my back.

Or does anyone else have any other recomendations around the £150 price?

Thanks in advance.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Vulcan has less seams and less features, so less things to get bust. The vulcan is a bombproof good working pack.

Sizes for the vulcan (in SI units, get used to it!):

Size 2: 160 - 173 cm.
Size 3: 170 - 183 cm.
Size 4: 183 - 198 cm.

I would go for the vulcan anyday.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Does that sabre fit you? You're bigger than me and it doesn't fit me! Surely all that weight is on your shoulders and not your hips

I think the bigger Sabres have the same issue. The Vulcan has different sizes (as mentioned above)

U

unamodo

Many thanks fellas, I am just about to make an order now for the Vulcan. Cheapest I have found it is £140 delivered so cheaper then the sabre as well.

I have not got around to using my Sabre 45 yet but after a little research think it will also be too small for me. I am going to get my membership paid for BCUK and I will advertise it in the classifieds in the next few days.

Thanks again

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
it depends on your back length. I'm also 6'5", but my sabre 75 seems to fit nicely so far (have still only tried it at home). My back is medium according to my measureing tape and the charts, despite my height (looong legs).
So before you decide, try and find out your back length.

A nice thing about the sabre as opposed to the Vulcan, is that it's half a kilo lighter (according to my scale and the berghaus specs), and more versatile, because of the various straps that makes the capacity reduceable, and can therefore make the bag a lot more stable.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
We can buy the vulcan's here a lot cheaper.... they are used but most of the time in a good condition. We can buy theme here by the bunch because there is a lot of ex MOD who are selling them. Cheapest now are between 60 and 90 euro.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I'm smaller than you and the Sabre is too short for me.
The Vulcan has less fancy stuff, so less that can break.
I'd definitely go for the Vulcan.

/ Karl

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
it depends on your back length. I'm also 6'5", but my sabre 75 seems to fit nicely so far (have still only tried it at home). My back is medium according to my measureing tape and the charts, despite my height (looong legs).
So before you decide, try and find out your back length.

A nice thing about the sabre as opposed to the Vulcan, is that it's half a kilo lighter (according to my scale and the berghaus specs), and more versatile, because of the various straps that makes the capacity reduceable, and can therefore make the bag a lot more stable.

The vulcan also has compression straps. It is unfair to compare weights since the vulcan is 25 litres more. Without the sidepacks it has a volume of 80L, if you cut the redundant straps you end up with a 80L pack for about 2 kilos, which is way more robust than the sabre.

U

unamodo

Many thanks guys for all your help. I have just made my order this morning for the Vulcan.

I have also bought a few exped dry bags to keep everything organised and dry.

Thanks again

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Have anyone here actually done a side-by-side comparison of the two?
It sounds everyone are just promoting the thing they have themselves purchased? (as i also did).

I belive both packs are nice, based on reviews of both, and my own handleing of my sabre. But one must always remember that the best backpack is the one that fits you perfectly :)

One sidenote: How good does the bottom and sidepouch attachment zippers hold up on the vulcan? it seems a little odd that there are no supporting straps to make sure the zippers don't go bust under stress.

U

unamodo

I managed to try a Sabre 75 on this morning and it was definatley too small for me. It was very comfortable and is a great shaped & sized pack with tons of features but once I started to put weight into it, my shoulders seemed to take the full strain.

The guy that was selling it even said before I tried it that he would be very surprised if it fit me and that for my height I would be better with the Sabre 60-100 which is longer and has slight adjustment.

He didn't stock Berghaus so unfortunatly I had to order online and take a risk but from reading many reviews and speaking to people on here, I am confident it will be a great purchase.

As I said before I currently own a Sabre 45 but never had chance to use it as My Sabre 35 fit's everything I need into it, but a planned trip to walk the West Highland Way in May meant I would need a 100ltr pack.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
We can buy the vulcan's here a lot cheaper.... they are used but most of the time in a good condition. We can buy theme here by the bunch because there is a lot of ex MOD who are selling them. Cheapest now are between 60 and 90 euro.

That's true but usually they come in size 2 or (rarely) 3. Funny, given the length of the average dutch guy... Some 10 years ago I bought a Vulcan, ignorant with regard to the size system, and it is a size 2. I'm 1.93 cm but used the Vulcan a lot without ever experiencing a problem. It's a confortable pack even if it's not my size.

PS DDokkum: like your quote, it's Sgt Gunny Highway in't it?:cool:

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Have anyone here actually done a side-by-side comparison of the two?

Yep, I've got both and have done a fairly thorough comparison between the two.
I've had the Vulcan for about 12 years and have used it literally all over the world in all kinds of climates.
The Sabre I've only had for a good year. I bought it after having read all the good stuff about it on "da net".

Pockets and attachment points

The Sabre is very nice, has a lot of pockets and attachment points.

The Vulcan has slightly less versatility regarding pockets and attachment points. But to be honest, I've never ever had the need for more pockets/straps/clips than what the Vulcan provides.

Carrying system

The Sabres carrying system feels nice and comfy when you try it on. It is, however on the soft side. You shouldn't forget that these are big sacks, and even if you hold back on the gear they tend to get heavy when you fill them up.
I find the Sabres carrying system to be too soft for longer peiods of carrying. For short bouts, ok I can live with that, but definitely not for a whole day carrying. The fact that it's a fixed system that only comes in one size (which happens to be too short for me) hasn't made things better...

The Vulcan carrying system is also fixed, but comes in several sizes so you can find "your size". It's also much stiffer than the Sabres system. This has the advantage that it keeps pointy/poky stuff away from your back (on an carelessly loaded sack), and it also generally stiffens the sack up making it easier to load/unload. It also makes it easier to find things inside the main compartment.
The main advantage, though, is that a stiffer/harder carrying system is a must for a heavy load, as it will not sag and create pressure points and/or mess up the weight distribution.
For heavy loads, I find the carrying system of the Vulcan to be vastly superior to that of the Sabres.

General observations

Both rucksacks are made of cordura. Without really knowing, the Sabres fabric appears to be slightly less thick than the Vulcans. This, in the long run, probably means the Vulcan fabric will last longer. However, it also means the Sabre fabric is slightly lighter giving an overall lighter sack.

Both sacks seems to have good, sturdy seams that won't give up so easily.

The carrying system of the Sabre is covered with a mesh fabric. This is not nearly as tough as the Vulcan fabric. It also means that in winter the snow gets into the carrying system (through the mesh fabric) and wets your back when you put the sack back on. This is also true in rain. On the other hand, in the summer it doesn't get quite as hot as the Vulcan carrying system.

The Vulcan is bigger (not always good), but take those side pockets off, zip the cover down and the side compression straps in, and it actually doesn't seem to be so big after all.

Personal conclusion

I do use the Sabre every now and again, but it seems to be more of a bad conscience "must use it since I bought it" kind of basis.

The Vulcan - as they say in the commersials "It just works!!". This is the sack I reach for the most often whan I know it's time for a big sack. I don't even have to think about it, it's simply the best choice for me.
If I had to choose between these rucksacks, I'd take the Vulcan every time.

One sidenote: How good does the bottom and sidepouch attachment zippers hold up on the vulcan? it seems a little odd that there are no supporting straps to make sure the zippers don't go bust under stress.

The zippers on the Vulcan are very, very chunky, and hold up great.
The side pockets are attached with zippers, but can also be attached with the main sacks compression straps to release some of the stress on the zippers and make it more secure. I've actually never used that option, and still the zippers have always held the side pockets in place without fail. Even after 12 years of hard abuse they don't show any signs of getting tired or worn out.
I've packed this sack so full and heavy (maximum I've had to carry with it for longer stretches is about 45kg), I've thought it just have to burst somewhere - But no, it's just kept going and going and going, taking everything I've thrown at it without even breaking a sweat.

Sorry about the rambling, guys, I didn't intend it to be one. :eek:
/Karl

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Now I hate you :p
For making me wanting the Berghaus instead of my Sabre :D

I have one question still: If you like the Berghaus so much, what got you to getting the Sabre also? Any shortcommings on the Berghaus in you opinion? (I'm apparently still looking for that perfect mid-size heavy duty OD backpack :) )

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Now I hate you :p
For making me wanting the Berghaus instead of my Sabre :D

You're welcome :D ;)

I have one question still: If you like the Berghaus so much, what got you to getting the Sabre also?

Well, to be honest I was reading so much good stuff about the Sabre on the net, that I thought I just had to give it a try. A victim of the hype I guess... :eek:
I can't by it here in Switzerland, so I bought it unseen over the internet.
Turned out the Sabre's an ok pack, bet it can't keep pace with the Vulcan.

Also, I'm a bit of a rucksack-oholic... :eek:

Any shortcommings on the Berghaus in you opinion? (I'm apparently still looking for that perfect mid-size heavy duty OD backpack :) )

Personally, the only possible shortcoming I can think of is the weight. It's not the lightest out there (but also not the heaviest).
On the other hand, the carrying system is so comfy that the weight has never caused me any problems when lugging the sack around.
It's just that half kilo less stuff you're allowed to bring onto the airplain when travelling, is all.

On another note - If many pockets are important to you and you bought the Sabre because of that, then the Vulcan is not for you as it's "only" got two side pockets and one lid pocket. Personally, I never had a problem with that.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE