Vote for your BCUK Local Hero for 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just wondering if this would be a good idea - mods please close /delete the thread if you think not.

I was thinking of some of the people who have made a real difference to my first year with BCUK and thought it might be quite fun to run a poll so that we could vote for our BCUK Local Hero.

What do people think?

I wonder if we could give voters the opportunity to chip in a bit of cash to a fund at the BCUK shop, so that the winner could have a prize of their choice from the shop. I don't think there should be an obligation to do this, but if you wanted to then I think it would be nice to be able to do so.

If we get the go ahead from Tony, I'll turn this thread into a poll so that we can start voting. I don't know if there is a limit to the number of choices that you can have on a poll, so we may have to limit the number of 'candidates'.

I have had help from a huge number of people here, and if you are not on my list below, it doesn't mean anything. It's just that these are the names that have stood out in my (failing) memory, either for helping me or for standing out from the crowd. Names are listed alphabetically.

• British Red - always there in the background with meaningful thoughts - and a collection of wonderful photographs.
  • Eric Methven - for his generosity, skills, wisdom and humour.
  • Jodie - for her unfailing cheer, modesty and information about books, events and TV programs.
  • Matt Weir - because he seems a really 'decent fellow', always there to offer an encouraging comment.
  • Toddy - because she knows everything and is so willing to share her knowledge. The Gandalf or Dumbledore of bushcraft.
  • Tony - you don't hear very much from him, but I bet he is doing an awful lot of work behind the scenes.
  • Wayland - because his lifestyle seems so fascinating.
  • Xylaria - the Queen of Fungi.
If you think I should have acknowledged you above, and I haven't done so, my apologies. There are so many good people on this forum.

Geoff

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Gosh! I am spectacularly flattered to be added to a list of those people! Nice and
helpful as I am though, I don't really know much about bushcraft as such so it
would seem to be a bit strange for me to get any accolades. I think being on your
list is prize enough :)

I'm not being modest - obviously I think I'm delightful :D
But I'm not a bushcrafter, I like playing at it on occasion though, and hearing about
the interesting and clever things people do - and then telling others about things that
might interest them. That's about it really :)

EDIT: Come to think of it - we simply wouldn't have the forum without Tony who
created it in the first place! I'd like to vote for him and the mods
:You_Rock_

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think this is a great idea but i'm not sure about it working out as intended. I think some other thoughts from people on this would be good, what do the rest of you think?

I do think that it would be great to have thread where people can post about who they appreciate, they can say who it is and say why they appreciate them, as you've done above Geoff.

Thoughts?

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ad infinitum

I feel so honoured, humble and completely flattered to be listed with such a esteemed group of members and I'm sure there are many more deserved of a mention :eek: but thanks Geoff :D

A vote on this would be a very hard choice for me to vote as there are as I said, so many people here that make BCUK such a great forum.

For me personally though in alphabetical order some of those worthy of a mention (and I'm sure I will have forgotten folk who I will remember soon and slap myself over it)...

AndyN - top man, very generous guy who's always willing to help.

British Red - what can I say, so giving in knowledge, support, wisdom, goodies and so much more - my adopted Dad.

Eric Methven - another font of bushcraft knowledge always willing to offer advice and inspiration.

Goose - for setting up the Delamere meets which brings bushcraft into the real world for many and makes getting out there and living it for a few days at least possible.

Jodie - the what's on when queen.

Jon r - fantastic craftsman for such a young chap and has been an inspiration to many.

Spamel - for his unique whit and making me giggle so often.

Toddy - firm but fair and not afraid to get stuck into a thread.

Wayland - magical photographs and great advice.

Xylaria - a font of fungi wisdom.

I have purposefully left out all admin as they all do a great job but I think this ones for the members :)

Tony - your great though! :lmao:

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I agree with everything thats been said so far... and I would like to add the names of 2 people who have contributed a great deal to my enjoyment of bushcraft generally, and to the development (and comfort!) of so many of us former newbies;
John Kelly ( Magic ) and Mary ( aka Toddy)

In the words of your emoticons THEY ROCK.
George :)

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i've only been here for 5 months, but a few people stand out for me -
Wanderinster, MagiKelly and Red for their GBs
Eric and Dougster - 2 immensly talented makers who i've bought stuff from, and who have been 2 of the friendliest and most helpful people i've never met(although that applies to everyone here!)
Matt and Toddy for reasons already said
and all the mods for being by far the most reasonable and excellent examples of their kind that i've encountered on a web forum

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Id like to add Tengu to the list, because of her sense of community, her ability to share the things she finds/buys with us, either as trades or indeed free gratis in some cases and last but not least the warmth of her friendship to everyone on BCUK, be they old hands or raw beginners in the art that is Bushcraft.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you think I should have acknowledged you above, and I haven't done so, my apologies.

Accepted ;) :lmao:

Personally I'm not into these 'Hero-election' type of things ... It's just to subjective, there are as much heroes as there are BCUK members ... Let alone the amount of helping friends.

It also could end up in a tribe to tribe competition of who's best, etc. and all goes pearshaped, (some) people get upset because they can't distinguish the virtual world from the real world (BCUK ;) :naughty: ); (as in: getting stepped on there toes (sp?) while there's no need for it - wrong interpretation of the written word).

My 2 € cent :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Ooh, I'm not sure about this. I've done nothing special or out of the ordinary. Everybody on here, be they old hand or newbie has contributed. The old hands with sage advice and the newbies have contributed by asking intelligent questions that get our grey cells working in order to provide answers that others might have been hesitant to ask. I don't need any accolades. What I do makes me who I am, and it pleases me greatly to make others happy when I can. There's nowt special about that. I've sent some people some stuff, great. Other people have sent me stuff. A simple thank you at the time is all that's needed. I do appreciate the compliments, but others contribute much more, silently and deserve greater thanks. I think the Mod's do a fantastic job and largely go unthanked. Much kudos and respect to them.

Eric

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
AWW, I havent done much, I dont have the opportunity to go much beyond the garden (but its a nice big one and theres plenty of room for you to join me) and I dont have half the knowlege or skills some people do.

And I dont know about this starfish...(and Im not much good at ferret management)

But I do try to help people if I can

Im not sure about this any more than Ahjno is, but if I was, Id vote for Xylaria, not so much for her fungi knowlege (though that is immense) but for her friendliness, her helping, and her enthusiasm.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I nominate Jon Pickett.............Because he's my mate;)

And because of his knowledge of wildlife, Photo's and he is an all round decent kind of guy.:D

Well said, nice all round guy is Jon, much like yrself

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well - I'm honoured to be mentioned in such company - although I'm not sure what I've done to deserve it! My heroes are to numerous to list, but, certainly

Eric for his humour and gifts and talents

Mary for her wisdom and even temper

Jon r for embarrassing me for being so good so young

Wayland for his love of the subject and his photographs

Jon Pickett for his knowledge, photos and help

Fenlander for my education (still require more mind you :eek:)

Matt for frequently being the voice of reason

Spamel for being the voice of fun

Singteck for teaching me leatherwork

Patrick M for showing us all what can be done

MagiKelly for all you hard work and for making us better people - one of the nicest people I have never met :(

Bushwacker Bob for being a thoroughly decent human being

Dougster for all his kindness

And Stovie, a man who takes kids out and teaches them to love the wilds.

And far too many of the other great people that make up this community - those who have "paid it forward", offered advice and encouragement, inspired and just had fun

Its distinctly my privilege to know you all

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
On reflection this evening, what seemed a good idea first thing this morning seems less so now. I'd like to keep this thread going so that people can pay compliments to others on the forum, but do I think now that a vote would be inappropriate. At election time, I often can't decide who to vote for because I really don't want any of them. In this case it is the opposite, I can't decide because I'd like most of them. Perhaps I should have entitled the thread "Who would you like to be Mentioned in Dispatches?"

In the words of those gentlemen The Stranglers:

"Whatever happened to
All of the heroes"

I think we sometimes need to make heroes for ourselves, particularly in a world which appears to be devoid of genuine heroes, where those held up as examples to our young people are, IMHO, often empty headed, greedy, selfish, badly behaved idiots. As in wartime, the real heroes often come from the ordinary folk who do their duty then fade quietly into the background again. There are many such people here in BCUK. If only this forum were a microcosm of the world.

Geoff

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
For me it has to be, in no particular order,

Jon Pickett,
British Red,
Spamel,
Toddy,
Jodie

These guys know so much and are keen to help, often above and beyond! Nice one.

Thanks

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I would like to take this opportunity to thank GreenPete who inspired and taught me through his video I stumbled upon online on how to make a lovely knife from an old file. Thank you for your time, effort and willingness to spread that information for free, very kind.

And Thank you to all those who contribute to this community and make it a lovely and worthwhile place to visit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE