Volunteers Wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks for the feedback on the skin test that may save us looking in that area of development but I will remain seated until all the results are in,

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
As a consequence of the recent arrival of the strange ball of bright light in the sky and resulting heat emanating from it, all sorts of flying nasties have been waiting for me, along various paths and tracks I wander, intent on drinking my life blood.

None have yet succeeded as I have had the foresight to either rub on some repellent before heading out or put it in my pack to rub on should I need to.

I was checking out a potential stealth camp spot this afternoon and the place was positively swarming with the little blighters, I think I may have inadvertently inhaled a few stumbling about, but I remain free of bits.

Good stuff :D

Still reckon it smells of Vicks though ...

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I was over at Northallerton last weekend with the family. On the Sunday we wandered around one of the nature trails and happened upon a pond, and had some snap.
We then went into some nearby woodland and through a haze of midgies and the like.
Poor swmbo (an unaware control subject) had none of the cream, neither did our kid nor his swmbo.
Swmbo returned with a few welts as did my brother, I can happily say the cream worked for me, not one bite.
I'll try it again in other places I've been eaten in the past too at different times.

The smell of the cream is non existent when applied, so I'm chuffed to bits with it so far. :thumbup:

touched by nature

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just in from putting the hardening off plants into the greenhouse.....and after a miserable few minutes had an, "Ahah!" moment :D and found the wee tub of magic ointment, rubbed it on and finished the job with impunity.....or non punctatus :D

Xylaria we love you :D :D
The no'seeum's must hate you though :cool:

So far the results are incredibly hopeful from midge central :D

atb,
Mary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the reminder, mine's been packed for my last few outings but I've not had to break it out until this weekend. A muggy Saturday afternoon in Derbyshire brought the midges out, not in great numbers but they were still annoying. After dabbing some on my face and neck I didn't see another midge all day. I tell a lie actually, I forgot to put any on the backs of my hands and I had a few land later on, that was easy to deal with though.
Whether it was just coincidence, the weather changed or the bug lotion just works I don't know, my next visit to Scotland will no doubt be a good test.

I really like the smell, it's not as overpowering as Wilmas which I now find gets a bit nauseating after three or four days. I also noticed a bit of a cooling effect on my face, not sure if that's the lemon thing or mild sunburn relief :)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thanks for the feed back, it will be on sale starting this week on here, We are now selling a 100% natural head lice repellent as well as the lip balm which we are happy to say does not repel lips.:D

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Well I for one am very happy with the samples I have been fortunate to test and will be buying a couple of tubs to get me through the summer :D

I hope the endeavour proves to be the success it deserves to be, good luck.

Atb.

Colin

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
No sign round here yet, to be honest it's been much to windy anyway. Still, won't be long untill the birch flies are about!

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I finally got to use it on Tuesday past was digging a land drain it pretty wet ground and was getting eaten alive until I remembered that I had your rub in my bag side pocket 5 mins later I was little bitey b#*$@!d free so I gave a bit to the lad working with me and he was well chuffed as well! Now when it goes into production properly I want some please!!!!! As so it works even on the Galloway midge!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I have been trying out Woodstocks midge repellent over here in Greece. What can I say the stuff is a miracle. I usually get bitten on my feet and hands. I didn't use it first day and got bitten many times. The second day just applied it to one leg using my right hand. No bites on hand or leg. Since then I have just applied a small amount and have no bites at all anywhere. My wife loves it and I have given it to 5 other people and they have all said the same it works. Today I used my Skin so soft and got a couple of bites i won't be bothering with it again. In conclusion I can't speak for Scottish midges but here in Greece the mossies hate it. Well done Woodstock. Will be ordering some when I get back.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I tried Woodstock's repellent last weekend, during the scouthike, for real.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]We went paddling all weekend and spent the night on an island. There were loads of the little bloodsuckers over there, but during the day I had no problems with them. I applied the repellent on the exposed skin, face, ears, neck, lower arms and hands. I actually saw the mosquitos back away from hands and lower arms after having launched an "attack"! [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]During the night I did get bitten and even regular appliquations to the face, more precisely the nose, eyebrows and eyelids, did not deter the little buggers, allthough I did not sustain a single bite in those areas. hands and arms were attacked, but I did not apply the repellent after hitting the sack, only befor.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]For me this repellent at least equals Wilma's Nordic Summer, but it is more socially acceptable! It doesn't smell nearly as much and it does not leave those dark smears like Nordic Summer, but that could also mean I applied it more sparingly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I actually let a visually impaired person (back in the days we'd simply call them blind people) smell the repellent. He thought it was still strong smelling, but acceptable. He'd back away from the Nordic Summer in an instant. And Wilma will stay with you, even after a hot bath or shower![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The only drawback I had, was that when the tin got warm, either by carrying it in your pocket or warmed by the sun (nor directly, but in the frontpocket of the backpack) the repellent ran into the screwthread of the tine, making it harder to open up.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Based on these initial experiences, I'd like to have an extra tin or 2 myself![/FONT]

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Thank you for the review Ron, storage,think where to store a chocolate bar to prevent it turning to liquid and thats the best place to keep it.and thank you so much for the olive oil Gaudette.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE