Vintage leather bag find!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Local charity shop to me had this bad boy in the window..

4mm thick full grain leather, decorative twisted straps, detailed front and just lovely. Really thick n solid old bag.

One question though.. is it femanine? lol

Really high quality though, and despite it being possible a ladies bag I had to have it. :D

What do you guys n guyettes reckon?

cheers

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I think if you wear army boots and trousers instead of your normal stiletto's and short skirt then you'll get away with it.

Seriously though what does it matter if it does a job and does it well then who gives a damn what anyone else thinks.

D.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
1970s Spanish holiday souvenir handbag - I converted several into belt pouches/possibles pouches. Great for Man or Woman of the woods.
My wife still has hers in the back of the wardrobe ... so far!
Good catch!

I think if you wear army boots and trousers instead of your normal stiletto's and short skirt then you'll get away with it.

Seriously though what does it matter if it does a job and does it well then who gives a damn what anyone else thinks.

D.B.

Only some kind of creature which evolved within a complex competitive hierarchical social structure. But we're all well past that of course. ;)

Except our presidential candidates.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
nice find, if your worried about not finding your lipstick when you need it make some nice leather pouches to keep order in the bag :)

add some leather thong, antler, feathers and fur and it will soon look like a respectable bushcraft must have item.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I think Mr Fenna is spot on re-where the bag came from but that's fine, some of that Spanish leather was very good quality - belts were the other good buy, much cheaper than in the uk.

So can you pull it of? Like someone else said - probably a question of context. Walking down the high street in ya smart slacks and polo shirt it might look a bit mincey. Worn with ya woollen bush shirt, boots and a beard that looks like you're trying to swallow a badger it will look just the thing. I'd risk it anyway - doh I've just trimmed my beard😄

Anyhow, it's no use as a lady's handbag anyway - you'd never fit a kitchen sink in there!
Is it just me or have the ladies in our life had the jump on us for years when it comes to always being prepared?
My nan always had something in her bag for every emergency - including a knife, first aid supplies etc. My wife's gran always carried a kitchen knife in her handbag. They'd get locked up today!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I thank it's dafe to say it may be a ladies bag..

And as much as I like a kince around from time to time.. I think I'll either trade it or repurpose it.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Good find Samon, I'd use it. Male bag, female bag pfft, I have a similar problem with hats, I like skull caps cos I'm bald, and often get someone saying " why are you wearing a Muslim hat ?" I'm not, I'm wearing a hat, I also wear a lungi ( indian sarong ) and get asked why I'm wearing a skirt, feckin pigeon holes ! :)

Rev G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE