Victorinox vs Wenger - who makes the best SAK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who makes the best SAK?

• Total voters

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Over the years I have owned a few Victorinox pocket knives and have always been pleased with them However I have often looked at the Wenger SAKs with a degree of curiosity.

They look a bit slicker, get better reviews and command a higher price. But how do they actually compare?

I'm interested in the opinions of those who have used both brands of true SAK here.

Thanks

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Wenger is now owned by Victorinox.

I've owned some of both "makes", they seem as good as each other.

Some prefer the Vic can opener, some the Wenger.

I do own far more Vics.

Dave - sitting nicely on the fence

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
always had victorinox myself, and they've always been good. compared the victorinoxs and wengers in my local hiking shop and we both agreed the wengers felt a bit less refined and the plastic ..more plasticy?

victorinox for me ;) (do like the wenger can opener though, and scissors!)

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Victorinox. Got my aluminium scaled soldier in 1997. Every boy's dream to have one! Loads more came after that, but I'm on the multi-tool boat now. Victorinox make an absolutely dapper one by the way - very heavyweight and comes with it's own bit set! I will say though, that I miss tweezers...

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Only ever owned 2 sak's one was a freebie Victorinox, the other a Wenger that I bought. Lost the Wenger, but still have the Victorinox, but to be honest I dont think there is any difference between them either in use or construction.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
I like them both but tend to stick with vic as like the little driver on the end of the tin opener (wenger dont have it) i do like wengers 84mm size though,

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have a few of each. They're all perfectly competent and good quality. There are some cheap imitations about, best avoided.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What did Macgyver use?

What kind of knife did MacGyver use?
His most commonly used knife was a "Tinker" model from Victorinox. But throughout the show he used several different models of both Victorinox and Wenger brands to match particular tools used in the episodes.

In one episode he uses an Orange Peeler blade; probably from a Victorinox "Executive." He may have used an older model "Explorer" from Victorinox later in the series. He also used the Sportsman in "Lost Love pt. 1 and 2", the Recruit in "GX-1", and the Climber in "Three for the Road." In "Tough Boys" he uses a Tinker (with the key ring removed) to unlock a large padlock.

He also had a couple of non-production models that were obviously modified for the series.
In "Serenity," he has a knife with wood panels to stay in setting with the period of the episode.
In "Strictly Business" he used a knife with the Victorinox shield on the back handle of the knife instead of the front.

The knife seen in the opening of each episode is a Wenger, as noted by its long keychain

I have quite a few of both, IMHO both are equally good, it is all about feel, if you prefer lighter (easier to open) springs, go with wenger, otherwise victorinox
as for the old allox soldier models , they were made by both companies, the victorinox model was called Soldier and the wenger was called Standard Issue.
I like some features from wenger, like locking screwdrivers and locking main blade on the smaller knives. I use a Wenger Securitè 17 a lot. I think wenger has a wider range of tools in their models.
I am also very fondle of the other allox models made by Victorinox, I like to use the Pioneer Farmer when going for a hike.
So in the end I guess it is all about feel and what kind of knife or tools you like.

about MacGyver, he used different models from both brands on each episode, so it depends :)

Cheers
Esteban

btw my most beautiful sak is a 1950 Wenger, absolutely beautiful!

l
wenger50_08.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What kind of knife did MacGyver use?
His most commonly used knife was a "Tinker" model from Victorinox. But throughout the show he used several different models of both Victorinox and Wenger brands to match particular tools used in the episodes.

In one episode he uses an Orange Peeler blade; probably from a Victorinox "Executive." He may have used an older model "Explorer" from Victorinox later in the series. He also used the Sportsman in "Lost Love pt. 1 and 2", the Recruit in "GX-1", and the Climber in "Three for the Road." In "Tough Boys" he uses a Tinker (with the key ring removed) to unlock a large padlock.

He also had a couple of non-production models that were obviously modified for the series.
In "Serenity," he has a knife with wood panels to stay in setting with the period of the episode.
In "Strictly Business" he used a knife with the Victorinox shield on the back handle of the knife instead of the front.

The knife seen in the opening of each episode is a Wenger, as noted by its long keychain

LOL. It wasn't a serious question. The point was, whatever he used must be the best.

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
ive always had the Victorinox i think the blades are better, had an old one but lost it years ago in the cadets it used to sharpen up soo easily

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
The reason I started this thread was I have often thought that if Britain had less stupid laws I would carry a Wenger Ranger 78 (pic attached) as my EDC. Either that or the Victorinox One-hand Trekker, but that is hard to find without those stupid serrated blades.

Since I couldn't use it as intended I don't see much point in buying one sadly. If you know you'll need a tool, carry the real thing. Multi-tools are only handy for those events where you didn't know it would be needed.

Attachments

• L13925911.jpg
    L13925911.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
The reason I started this thread was I have often thought that if Britain had less stupid laws I would carry a Wenger Ranger 78 (pic attached) as my EDC. Either that or the Victorinox One-hand Trekker, but that is hard to find without those stupid serrated blades.

Since I couldn't use it as intended I don't see much point in buying one sadly. If you know you'll need a tool, carry the real thing. Multi-tools are only handy for those events where you didn't know it would be needed.

I agree with you, but unfortunately we can't change the stupid law, otherwise a group of clueless mothers will start squawking and hassling all the MPs... If they got their way completely, none of us would be carrying anything as an EDC, so count yourself lucky! Doesn't matter what happens, some kid in Saaf Lundun or Merseyside or whatever will always find a way of killing some other kid from a rival gang. The law changes nothing for these people. When will they understand that the knife is not the problem...

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
My Vic Swiss Champ is the perfect take on holiday so you have one of everything tool and has been used for hundreds of jobs including removing a wobbley milk tooth whilst halfway around a crazy golf course. Shame the large blade is right to one side so isn't as nice to use as an actual knife as it could be.

My Vic Manager is on my keys and is used most days so it is a vote for Vic.

However Wenger should get some recognition as I recently found an old battered one in a drawer. The spacers between the blades had broken so it wobbled when open, one scale was missing and the other was split.

I returned it under their lifetime Guarantee and......

Received a brand new one back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE