Victorian Kitchen Equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
there's a English gay girl on YOUTUBE does Victorian reenacting and hiking in hobnailed WW1 shoes, leggings and such. Just websearch hobnailed boots and she should pop up. The shoes are reproductions by a UK company from a surviving pair in their product collection. I'll dig up the link later if you don't find them. My tea kettle is whistling up a tempest.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Lady's YouTube channel is THE HISTORICAL HIKER and just for fun William Lennon the bootmaker.
She's actually Edwardian but should know sources.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
John Seymours Forgotten Household Crafts is a great start. Jennifer Davies The Victorian Kitchen based on the BBC series of that name is good if biased towards the country house type of Kitchen. A personal favourite of mine is The Kitchen Catalogue from the Castle Museum Yorks who have a extensive collection.

Most of the county guides on regional cooking and country lifeare heavily biased towards the Victorian period, Stuff by Peter Brears or Marie Hartley are full of info on kitchens and food. Lots of rural life books have at least a chapter on kitchens like J Geraint Jenkins Life and Tradition in Rural Wales. Traditional Food East and West of the Pennines has some good bits. Good illustrations.

One thing I've learned is that although there was loads of shiny new stuff coming out all the time in the 19th C there was also a lot of continuation especially the further you got from London and cities in general and the further you got down the economic pile and into the countryside.

Not sure whats available as PDF online or weather the libraries are going to open soon for inter library loans, assuming they dont have any of those Ive mentioned in stock.

ATB

Tom

Reactions: Toddy

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Not sure where you’re based but a visit to Beamish would give you some ideas I should think. Presumably there is somewhere similar in your neck of the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE