Victorian beam engines (Leicester)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Bit off topic for bushcraft, maybe, but I know you folk have wide ranging interests and this is a blast from Britains industrial past that isn't to be missed if you've got the wanderlust on you this weekend!

Here's the events and prices page- its part of the Leicester Vintage Festival. The Abbey Pumping Station is a beautiful sewerage pumping works with 4 beautifully restored, 3 story high beam engines which will be steaming in rotation all through both days, with 3 going at the same time at 3.30 both days- it's a sight and sound to behold! They have a nice collection of motor transport in their museum too and its right next door to the National Space Centre too (you prob need a whole day just for that, tbh!)

There's more details of the engines here and some pics of what you can expect to see here too (not too many pics of the motors, I think these folk are steam engine buffs ;) )

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for this Sally - I have some Italian friends stayhin gthis week and it would be a great finish to their stay to see the steam engines in action.

Mind you I quite like the working model of a flushing toilet too.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Mind you I quite like the working model of a flushing toilet too....
ahhh, someone who has obviously experienced our local cultural history before! Thats one of my favorites too :) I understand that some of the vehicles have been removed but I'm hoping the lions share are still there... maybe the steam shovel in steam too, it's a long time since I've seen that wee beastie up and running! I'll keep my eyes open for you :) Whatever the weekend brings for you, have fun with your Italian freinds!

*Oh and thanks, mods, for correcting my typo on the header... I was cursing every time I saw it!!*

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
They're soooo (non-typo ;) ) incredible in steam and the building echoes the ornate detailing on the machinery beautifully.... all that attention to detail to pump poo, those Victorians were something else! Their best opening times are for the Spooky Engineer tour on Halloween, celebrating the worker who died there back in its heyday... they read his story and you can go down into the basements while the machinery is operating, absolutely incredible :) I think it's one of the last and best kept beam engines in the country, we're very proud of it in Leicester but like everywhere else, they're reducing the access and opening times for 'cost-effectiveness'.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Never tried linking a vid so please bear with me if its NF :)
[video]https://www.facebook.com/sally.nowill.king/photos#!/photo.php?v=3770345051616[/video]

And here's one from the lower story- there is a basement with the boilers and other workings too.
[video]https://www.facebook.com/sally.nowill.king/photos#!/photo.php?v=3769991042766[/video]

Here's the top story with the beams and opera roof with a monumental winch :)
209000_3770156246896_684883172  _n.jpg

Dad n lads in heaven on the mezzanine floor.... I don't know what they are although I'm sure someone will put me right!
208909_3770160447001_16767882_  n.jpg

Link here, highly recommended as a day of marvel but make sure they have an engine in steam when you want to come!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE