very wierd

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Ya now sometimes. I cannot figure ppl out. Seems some prety weird stuff has been going on
I had a conversation the other wik
Me and a mate are on the phone. He's talking a bout Face-ache (seems some idiot was running me down on it (some twit from one of my firms contracts reckoned I'd been thievin from their firm.... If that guy had a brain he'd be dangerous.......of course I'd been scavenging timber from the scrap skips and I had the permit
Two days later were in town (kit shopping, I don't have a motor so we used his) and we're talking tech now me I've never had much time for the internet and all that techno babble (bcuk is the first online site if ever used
any way we're talking and he's jabbering away and turns. Looks at me. And says you still got a pc
I'm like eh pc "i ain't had one for four yrs mate (coarse I have one now been operational for a month ) and still figuring it out. (my new fancy phone I've had it for about 4 months being short sighted I can actually read the screen now )
Any way I'm like mate I anti had a pc for years I ain't even got a credit or debit card
Chap took one look and burst into tears.....what the heck.... what I say ??

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Only response I'd have to that madness would be involuntary laughter

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Don't worry about it. Peeps go ape when I tell them I don't have a telly. It really, really offends some people. Usually, it's a conversation stopper, coz they ain't got nothing else to talk about except what was on telly last night.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
It's like ppl. In general I generally keep myself to myself. Of coarse I talk about silly things /trivia
But some ppl say oh well you never talk to us (therefore I'm being anti social). However if do talk or attempt to strike up a conversation then I'm being a pest. can't win

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Don't worry about it. Peeps go ape when I tell them I don't have a telly. It really, really offends some people. Usually, it's a conversation stopper, coz they ain't got nothing else to talk about except what was on telly last night.
I get the exact same reaction when i let it slip i don't own a tv, i say let it slip as i try my best not to mention it as it causes instant weirdness between myself and the tv addict

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I get the exact same reaction when i let it slip i don't own a tv, i say let it slip as i try my best not to mention it as it causes instant weirdness between myself and the tv addict

+1 to this. "You know, that bloke off the telly". "Nope, don't watch telly" "What????"

Mind you, bursting into tears is a pretty dramatic reaction.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Tv addict looks at you like you just said "My favourite food is human babies eyeballs on toast" I have had several people actually lose their temper in the conversation following the admission that i do not own a tv but no tears

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
It wernt like a few tears the guys face turned bright red eyes drooped and wham several ppl have reacted like that in recent months...ppl react the same when one says r u on face-ache. I'm.like Yeh right hmm

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I get even weirder looks if I let slip that I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke and do any drugs even if prescribed by my doctor especially if this info comes after the no TV info lol

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Cor dear GGTBod - AND you go into the woods an night, there's alot stacked against you there, you must be a complete nutter.....

Anyway, I've recently sold the house - a few years ago when there was high winds we took our t.v. aerial down, it was either that or have it blown down. Not much of a big problem for me, I haven't had a telly since I moved out from my folks home 16 odd years ago even then didn't watch it much. They were on the phone the day they moved in "surely you have an indoor aerial??? where are all the t.v. points???" [we took out the t.v. points, as having no aerial or t.v. I didn't see the need] I have no idea how they are going to survive until they get a precious aerail up again... maybe I should have left some board games or something.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
My only aftershave is eau le bleach
I do smoke
Only drink socially (very rare)
Don't touch drugs
Single and not interested
My daily routine is
Wake up drink coffee go to work finish go home and disappear into the shed

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I think it is possible i could be classed as nutter by 'normal' people, is it a nutter who wants to get a boat journey and live on Barra Head? I have this growing desire to sell all my ****e that i can't carry, pack in my flat and move to the island and live on wild birds and seafood and the crops i grow until i die

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
:lmao: politically correct self edit

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hmmm Harris for me but truthfully I enjoy technology too much and the connections over the miles that the internet allows. I know a few people who don't have a TV and I certainly don't think any less of them for it. Still when the tv is off and silence pervades theres nothing like a good book.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I used to think I loved my technology but I had a trip recently where I had no signals the whole time and then my smartphone broke, first day it broke I tried to turn it on a hundred times, day two I gave up on it and after that I started to appreciate the disconnection as a special kind of freedom long lost that took me right back to my childhood, wish I'd never came back where I instantly started using electricity and then got the smartphone repaired and hung the chains of those connections back around my neck

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, I see why I joined some like minded folks here. Haven't had a TV in years - though still regularly get threatening letters! No land line or internet. (can't afford it at the moment). Read a lot. Girlfriend say's it's like trying to contact a blind/deaf hermit. (She lives thousands of miles away). I like writing letters though! And folks find in quite novel getting a hand written letter these days. Miss work though, desperate to get back when the docs say it's OK.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
When I become the hermit of barra head you're welcome to visit :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE