Very Slow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
how are things this morning?

It's all still very slow Tony, painfully at times, to the point that the forum wont even load up at all and all i get is "Page Not Found", yet in the same browsing session on a different tab or window i can be watching You Tube or BBC iPlayer, ive tried just loading up the forum on it's own with no other internet windows or browsing sessions open and the problem still persists, happens in Firefox, IE(yuk) & Chrome, all of my cookies, DNS Cache etc etc etc has been cleared, ive rebooted the router as well and it's made no difference.

Appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's all still very slow Tony, painfully at times, to the point that the forum wont even load up at all and all i get is "Page Not Found", yet in the same browsing session on a different tab or window i can be watching You Tube or BBC iPlayer, ive tried just loading up the forum on it's own with no other internet windows or browsing sessions open and the problem still persists, happens in Firefox, IE(yuk) & Chrome, all of my cookies, DNS Cache etc etc etc has been cleared, ive rebooted the router as well and it's made no difference.

Appreciate any help you might be able to offer.
I am having similar problems....

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, not sure what's going on, stats all look ok. We're moving to a new server next week so that will give us a chance to have a spring clean, and it's got more Oomph. Sorry it's like this guys, it seems very intermittent with only some people experiencing it.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm sure this isn't a server issue Tony.

It could be a simple case of the PCs being taken over by viruses. Some of them do things with your Name Service (replace the resolver) and that can cause things sometimes to appear very slow when the PC is looking for IP addresses and doesn't find them.

It could be that the browsers which are giving problems are running on machines which aren't powerful enough to do everything that they're being asked to do all at once. At least one poster said that he had other tabs open at the same time, and that's the sort of place where I'd start looking.

As well as other browser tabs, try stopping everythng else (well, as much as you reasonably can) that the computer is doing. Things like mail clients, dopey Acrobat 'speedups' and other startup junk, maybe even your anti-virus -- basically anything that's using computer resources.

If you're using Windows check the task manager for unwanted processes. If it's Linux or a Mac use 'top' or similar -- but then you probably wouldn't have a problem anyway. :)

There are a couple of packages that are very useful for checking Windows boxes:

MBAM:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/

CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/

Don't ever download anything from CNET.com, no matter what they tell you.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I have not seen the slowness here but I have seen it intermittently on another vBulletin site and have been wondering if it is caused by that hacker program trying to get into the site. Another possibility that comes to mind is that there is sometimes a DOS attack that is overloading a section of the net that some people are trying to get through or perhaps there is a problem with the routing info used by the servers and there is a loop which overloads the section of the net that is being used.

And no - I am not in the know wrt IT stuff so all the above is just uninformed guesses by an old person

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE