Ventile Jacket??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
I am thinking of buying a ventile jacket, I have searched around some old threads but still have some questions.

Has anyone used Keela's Falkland jacket - this seems to be a single layer ventile with a Paramo like pump liner, any good ? they look like they might be a bit hot.

Has anyone used double layer ventile? would you recommend it or does it reduce breathability and drying time too much?

Lastly how are people finding the BCUK single layer ventile jacket?

any advice appreciated
thanks
:confused:

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Hi Green Arrow
I've got a Keela Falkland jacket and yes they are a bit warm for summer use,other than that its pretty much bombproof. I wouldnt bother with double layer myself,all of the "sas smock" type's have double layers on the hood and shoulders and this is an ideal compromise between protection and drying time, the Bison Bushcraft one is the sexiest! also the Westwind ( Tamarack or Bearclaw ). Anyone using the "cotton gaberdine" sasskit smock? a cheaper alternative maybe?

Regards
Mav

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have trialed the Keela, Bison and Snugpak/Westwinds (double and single versions) - love them all but for different weather conditions. Keela and WW double - winter Bison/WW antarctic single for summer.... working on getting a BCUK to play with.
I get kit to review for magazines - I am not rich!

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
Thanks for the help Maverick Moocher and John, always good to get some info from people who have actually used the kit.

John, do I take it that the double is a bit hot for summer like the Keela?

Anyone out there have experience on the BCUK Ventile?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
GA,

The SASSkit smock (mentioned above) is also available in Ventile. Space Monkey and I got them a while back when they were experimenting with Ventile and I know a bunch of other members have bought them since. I can't speak highly enough about the quality - - double on shoulders and elbows, single on the back. A great compromise and I have worn mine in all four seasons - wouldn't be without it - stunning bit of kit

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yeah, the double is a bit on the warm side for summer use. I tend to feel the heat but enjoy cold weather and find the double ventile only comes into its own in winter conditions.
The WW Antarctic (despite its name, storm cuffs and neck gusset) works excellently in Welsh summers......
The Bison is also a great jacket but is a tad expensive - strangely enough this is the one and only ventile jacket in my collection that I have actually paid for, the others being sent by their makers for review in my magazine columns...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
GA,

The SASSkit smock (mentioned above) is also available in Ventile. Space Monkey and I got them a while back when they were experimenting with Ventile and I know a bunch of other members have bought them since. I can't speak highly enough about the quality - - double on shoulders and elbows, single on the back. A great compromise and I have worn mine in all four seasons - wouldn't be without it - stunning bit of kit

Red

Fully agree. Great kit has been many places now in total comfort..

Pen Y Fan, March.

DSC00232.jpg

Don't forget to get matching trousers if you want to be a total poser like me.. :cool:

Flooded Forest January:

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Haha! No, not at all, when I'm standing it runs over the sides of the Danners. I always tie my trousers up when in the wilds to keep the water, mud and filth off them. Boots are harder wearing and easier to clean IMO.. Force of habit.. Gonna try some gaiters next winter though.
Shorts from May to October for the same reason. Legs dry easier than trousers.. ;)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Haha! No, not at all, when I'm standing it runs over the sides of the Danners. I always tie my trousers up when in the wilds to keep the water, mud and filth off them. Boots are harder wearing and easier to clean IMO.. Force of habit.. Gonna try some gaiters next winter though.
Shorts from May to October for the same reason. Legs dry easier than trousers.. ;)

Going off topic a bit but just bought a pair of Kammo gaiters and they seem great. Went for a 5 mile walk last week after a down pour, through knee high crop headlands and long grass and they kept everything out and breathed well. Used them over Fjalraven foresters that I have put extra wax over the double knee but the original wax has gone from just about everywhere else so they breathe really well - good combo with the gaiters.

http://www.kammo.co.uk/gaiters/green.php?basket=cf87221a5b2d7e4051dffb89d064f0b6

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh I agree with blousing trousers over the boots thing, it's just that I use "trouser twists" or laggy bands, rather than tucking the trousers into my boots.
If I am wearing short boots and gaiters AND overtrousers, the OTs go over the gaiters to avoid rain running inside the gaiters into my boots.
Does anyone know of anyone producing Ventile gaiters? Would they have advantages over canvas gaiters (other than completeing the set)?
John

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Oh I agree with blousing trousers over the boots thing, it's just that I use "trouser twists" or laggy bands, rather than tucking the trousers into my boots.
If I am wearing short boots and gaiters AND overtrousers, the OTs go over the gaiters to avoid rain running inside the gaiters into my boots.
Does anyone know of anyone producing Ventile gaiters? Would they have advantages over canvas gaiters (other than completeing the set)?
John

See my link John, these are honestly very good. Even though I've just bought mine the material has been aroung for years.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the help Maverick Moocher and John, always good to get some info from people who have actually used the kit.

John, do I take it that the double is a bit hot for summer like the Keela?

Anyone out there have experience on the BCUK Ventile?

I have a BCUK Jacket and it's great.

Breathable, so far waterproof in all but the worst conditions. Lightweight and even ordering using your normal clothing sizes there is plenty of room for a fleece or midlayer underneath.

I LOVE the fact that you can roll the sleeves up and hold them in place with the plentiful velco straps on the cuffs. Quite often you get just that bit too warm for a long sleeved jacket but it's too cold to take it off fully.

WELL DONE:You_Rock_ to the designers of this jacket. It is the easy equal to anything available on the market, just that little bit special and rare and well within the price range of anything else out there.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Green Arrow - if you come to the Hampshire pub meet, you would be welcome to try my Sasskit ventile. If we can persuade Moduser to come, he hase a BCUK one

Red

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com

John

Ah, I don't tuck mine in.. Even with long legged trousers, they come untucked as soon as I sit down. If you look at the pic closely you will see I tie them fairly tight above my boot, and the top lip of the boot stops them sliding down over the boot. Works for me, but i do have very skinny legs.:eek:

Good idea on the OT, I do similar when out on the dirtbike.

Red, has your jacket worn white on the seam edges yet? I washed mine once and it seemd to be a lot worse after with white creases.. I sprayed the outer with Grangers and heated it, but it still looks a lot more aged. since before washing..:(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, got a couple of thorn holes and a generally battered appearence but not gone white anywhere. Not washed it though - maybe thats why

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE