venison cooked in a hog roast style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
just wondered am picking brains here for a forthcoming repeat-- Essex meet --GRAND DINNER-- has any one tried and knows and could give advise please -cooking a small Deer ----- hogg roast style over an open fire has any one done it advice would be very welcome

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Venison is quite lean unlike Porky buddy, having a billy full of seasoned oil or butter warm by the fire to baste it would be good, what sort of Deer is it? Muntjac ? You cant beat a plentifull horn eh lol

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm sure Hugh Fury whipping stool did this on one of his programs...
As PG says it's a very lean meat so I think Hugh got a lod of pig fat and strapped it to the carcass before cooking.
I guess not only did it keep the meat moist but also protected the outer from the worst of the heat from the fire.
His looked really good.
Good luck with yours

Mark

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
thanks chaps have been told the same sort of thing today no fat content in muntjack so thanks for the tips pork fat tied to the meat and plenty of baisting oil I suppose old Robin Hood had the same problem after killing the kings deer bet it must have been taisty though any way anyone got any more good hints about this much apreciated

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE