Veggie Beef Jerky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I was in chinatown this afternoon, saw some great dried foods for backpacking/camping and I was filling my boots when I noticed this product which looked familiar through the packet window.

Its called "Beef taste delicious dried beancurd curd "

If any of you Veggies out there have ever wondered what beef jerky tastes like then try to get your hands on some of this. It looks like beef jerky and has a similar texture, The flavour is a lot like it though, if anything a touch sweeter and is most wholesomely delicious.

Even non veggies will like it:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is the dried marinated tofu :D

Have no idea what beef jerky tastes like, but I like tofu, even the marmite marinaded stuff, turned into jerky.

Don't suppose you can remember a name or a company ?? Are you likely to go back anytime ? Doesn't need to even be soonish......I'll happily cough up cash if you can send me a packet so I can find the manufacturer/ supplier :D

atb,
Toddy

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
hi Toddy its made by

WEI HSIN FOODS CO LTD

According to the packaging there is a UK sole distributor

Interlink Direct Ltd

http://www.interlink.fsbusiness.co.uk/About.htm

If you don't get any joy then I will gladly pick up some next time I am in the vicinity. Retail was £1.20 if that is any help. If you had to buy a whole box then you would get through it easy enough in my view.:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly for the information :cool: Much appreciated. That's really cheap too ! :D

British Red, Just think of it as kind of chewy mushroomy stuff..........we know it's really just coagulated bean juice, but it's good for you :D

atb,
M

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I am not overly keen On the flavour of TOFU, but this has hardly any of the taste normally associated with it, far outweighed by the niceness overall.:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I will deal with dead stuff, prep it, cook it, serve it..........but it's not food.

Sorry to offend all those sensibilities, but it's not. It's just something dead. :sigh:

No issues if you want to eat it, just don't mix it with mine, and life's good all round.

Tofu I like if it's well prepared and cooked. Otherwise it's just kind of like tasteless cheese.
My friends say it's like egg in texture. I don't remember. Never much of a fan of egg as a child.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thing is, if I want to eat beef jerky...I eat beef jerky!

If I want a nice vegitarian dish I'll have a mushroom stroganoff...or a spanish omlette......

Never seen the point of vegetables pretending to be meat...

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I actually agree with you :D
I can't eat those veggie hotdogs, just no, it's too wrong.

Things like sausages and burgers are just a convenient shape though.

The only savoury flavoured tofu jerky I've had was the Jerkymeister's and it was really good. He said it was his missus's invention, and marmite was mentioned :D

Veggie dishes really are veggie though, egg is a real no go for many of us.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can do veggie - but I'd struggle with vegan TBH - eggs and dairy no problem - but take the cream from my stroganoff and lose eggs and cheese..... well, in the words of Mick Dundee....you can live on it...but....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Soya cream is surprisingly good, though I usually use almond milk. Medieval cooks managed without milk all through late Autumn, Winter and a fair bit of Spring since cattle went dry; they used the almond milk instead.

Got no choice now, I ache if I eat dairy, same with gluten :sigh:
Have to confess that the bread is dreadful though. If the Doc tells me I'm going to croak it tomorrow I'm going to bake a seed and grain filled loaf and just relish every bite :D

cheers,
M

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I tried veggie jerky at the Wilderness Gathering last year and it was pretty good. You can get various ones through http://www.martinsjerkedmeat.com.

Please let's not have the vegetarian debate again please folks - it's divisive, people fall out over it, and we've done it to death already.

Just chill - no-one's forcing anyone to give anything up.

Relax.

Deep breaths.

Ummmm.......

Better?

Good.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
There is nothing wrong with good wholesome vegetarian food (you also cant beat a steak:D ) but I hate this cr*p that pretends to be meat but is just fowl

Quorn :yuck:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can, but the trick is to get the inside dry enough without the outside burning. A fan oven might actually be better (hate the things, baking is a nightmare in them, got rid of mine) but the dehydrator works a treat.
I have done it with Sunshine, but it's a lot of fussing turning it, tofu doesn't have the fibrous structure of meat or mushroom.

Love to hear how you get on with it if you give it a go :D

cheers,
Toddy

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I didnt fight my way to the top off the food chain to be a vegitarian

Samwise

You actually fought your way here?

I believe the whole point of jerky is to provide both energy and protein, I hardly think a veggy option is worth considering for any more than home use.

Rik, Are you basing your opinions on store bought stuff? and or have you tried making your own to suit your tastes?
I wouldn't want to push food on anyone but it's good to reevaluate things every few years.

I discovered this year I actually can like king prawns and other sushi trip inspirations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE