Vegetable storage for winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Does cardoon taste like artichoke? Someone I knew a while back said it was more like angelica when steamed. Never had a chance to taste it.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ideally you need to wrap the leaves around the young stems and tie them in place to blanche them. If you eat the biguns unblanched they are very fibrous. A bit like young celery, texture wise, but sort of artichoky and asparagusy in taste. Also possibly becomes a triffid at night (its chuffing huge by Autumn - 8 foot or more)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
YAHOOOOO! My beets are up! Little purple sprouty things unlike a weed.
I'll assume that the striped and yellow beets can't be far behind.
Yours truely,
The Chemical Gardner

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
For beet lovers everywhere, here is the recipe I ise for Borscht, from American wholefood cuisine by N and D Goldbeck, one of many great charity shop cookbooks.
3 cups water
1 cup each of tomatoes, onion, carrot, beets, potato.
2 cups shredd cabbage
salt, lemon juice. I add a pinch of chilli for gentle no see um heat.
chop it all, put in a pan, cook till done, blitz or mash as you prefer.

As you can see, its healthy as a healthy thing and its totally delicious. There are many recipes for this dish but this feels,like the peasant original, so dont be too precise about quantities.

Hope someone enjoys this.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do like borcht and will give your one a go. Right up.there with good old Scots broth for being ambrosial.
Soup, we Scots eat more per capita than any other nation. Great way to stay healthy cheaply.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of the things I like about broth is that the meat is cooked in the soup. Then the main meal , the leavings in the soup and the bones another soup.
That and the kale yard make it a good way to live. You ever grown kale?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah. Two years ago, my partner INSISTED that I plant Kale in MY garden. Then she abandoned the whole thing.
Big leafy green stuff, nearly waist high and home to more caterpillars than I thought existed. No. Not again.
That space is my little radish patch.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Here kale was a way of life. Lasted through the winter and made life possible through the frosts. Hence why the garden was cried the kale yard. I like it in soup; but also in main meals like chappit tatties with kale and butter.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If/when I do see a beet crop, I'm looking forward to steamed beet greens,
butter, salt and a sprinkle of vinegar. I need a dose of that at least twice each summer.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
We grew kale on the allotment over the winter, marvellous stuff in curries, soup, stir fry, steamed. A first class food plant, creops heavily and over winter, highly recommended.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We grew kale on the allotment over the winter, marvellous stuff in curries, soup, stir fry, steamed. A first class food plant, creops heavily and over winter, highly recommended.

Also makes very nice "crispy seaweed" if you like doing Japanese food.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Beetroot Rosti.

900g/2lb beetroot; cooked but not in vinegar.
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped.
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper.
Half cup of plain flour; you may not need this.
2 tablespoons of butter.
Freshly chopped parsley for garnish.

Top & tail the beets and peel them. Grate them with course grater or food processor.
Press any excess water out of them using a sieve or salad spinner.
Heat a large frying pan to a medium heat.
In a bowl mix the grated beets, rosemary, salt and pepper. You may need to mix in some flour at this stage as you want it to start to hold together.
With hands press the mixture into patties.
Add the butter to the pan and once it starts to brown add the beet patties.
Turn up heat a little & fry the patties for 10 mins allowing them to caramelise on one side and hold together. You may need to shimmy the pan if they start to stick.
Turn over and repeat for 10 mins on other side.
(I've tried this with raw & cooked beetroot (not in vinegar though!) The precooked version is sweeter and much nicer though precooked beets tend to hold more moisture so.need more of a squeeze to remover fluid before adding flour.
Cant add pictures from phone but these look brilliant. Taste darn good too. Can use as a side dish or eaten as is. Good with steak and eggs.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Beetroot, Pork & Apple Hash

This dish, loosely based on the beetroot rösti. You could probably make a neater version by frying individual patties. I was more concerned with getting it to the table and eating it so I cooked the whole thing as you would with bubble and squeak, patting it flat in the frying pan and constantly turning it over to ensure that it's cooked evenly. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan if it appears to be drying out. I wouldn't worry about the toasty burnt bits either as they are delicious in their own right. A very successful experiment which went very well with purple sprouting broccoli, sautéed in olive oil and a few crushed cloves of garlic.
Swap out the pork for feta cheese or halloumi cheese and you have a vegetarian version.
3 cooked beetroot, grated and squeezed dry (or spun in a salad spinner)
1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
200 g cooked gammon or ham, shredded
Freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of salt
Olive oil
Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl
Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy based frying pan
Fill the pan with the mixture and pat it flat
Cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes
After 5 minutes, stir the mixture up with a fish slice
and turn portions of the hash over to ensure its toasted all over
Repeat for 10 minutes so the apple, beets and ham are caramelised.
Serve with purple sprouting broccoli sautéed in crushed garlic and olive oil and new potatoes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE