Vegetable storage for winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
But given the shape of a beet root, I can see using all my containers/buckets and several trips for sand!
I can easily screen the sand (dead leaves, root bits) and spread it on a tarp to dry.

Quite frankly, I do not know what I might use all the beets for if I get a good crop.
Some pickles. Diced, blanched and frozen will be my favorite.
Might as well do the sand clamping experiment instead of just thinking about it.

I'll post up my recipe for beetroot Za'atar; hopefully tomorrow when I get to town.
It's meant as a side dish though I can happily eat it as a main it is so good.
I get through a lot of beets since discovering it. Also make a lot od beetroot chutneys, pickles and soups.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
MY partner is 1st gen Canadian. Lots of yummy beet recipes from E europe.
I really like what's called Harvard beets = sweet & sour glaze of a sauce.
Had it done mixed with carrots.

I think if I had sand buckets of beets in the house (walk-in cold room), I'll be more inclined to use them
rather than remembering to buy beets in the store. What could be more convenient and my garden besides.

My green beans are up. Some of the peas are up. Not sure that I know what emerging carrots and beets look like.
Poppies, lupines and Gaillardia for a improvement project outside my back lane fence. If the deer don't eat it all.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My garden soil is about 30% weed seeds. They are beginning to sprout as are the things I planted.
I'm waiting to see sprouts in a row from which I will conclude that it was my doing.
Right now, I'm looking at the canals on Mars.

Have learned that the heritage carrots, purple with an orange core, taste heavenly to me.

Every 10 years, I spray the Hello out of my lawns and garden with herbicides.
I had dandelions bigger than Romaine lettuce. No, I don't like the taste of dandelion greens.
I was chopping Caesar Salad greens with the gas mower.

All is well now. The devastation is complete. I can keep up with the hoe from now on.
The deer realize that there's a 6' mesh fence but they can't judge where the top wire is so
they won't jump it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As promised I've pulled my recipe for Za'atar for you.

Za’atar (V)

Must admit that I'm totaly in love with this stuff. It's meant to be a side dish, though I could eat it on it's own either as a main or a pudding. (It has a sweetness from the beetroot). It really is beautiful.

6 medium beets (1 1/2 pounds), trimmed
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 small red chilli, seeded and minced
1 cup plain Greek yogurt or single cream
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons date syrup or pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon za’atar, good Asian shops will have this
Salt
1/4 cup roasted skinned hazelnuts, chopped or even better if they're in season or you have them stored substitute cobb nuts fried in ghee
2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Warm bread, for serving

Preheat the oven to 350F/177C . Put the beets in a small roasting pan and add 1/4 cup of water. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until tender. Let cool slightly.
Peel the beets, cut into wedges and transfer to a food processor. Add the garlic, chilli and yogurt/cream and pulse until blended. Add the olive oil, date/maple syrup and za’atar and puree. Season with salt. Scrape into a wide, shallow bowl. Scatter the hazelnuts or chopped cobbs, goat cheese and scallions on top and serve with bread.

IMG_0246.JPG

Lovely with some cobb nuts fried in ghee on top.

IMG_0252.JPG

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
This looks similar to a recipe I made last year, River cottage beet and walnut himmus, its in both the veg every day book (which I can heartily recommend ) and the every day cook book, its great as a dip, sandwich filling, or as part of a salad plate.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Are you talking about the green herb or the dry spice mix here Colin?

The dry spice mix Red. You can make your own up but I'm lucky there's a good importer not too far away. (If your stuck for some I can pick some up next month when I go to town?) It's always good to get it fresh.
The cobbs done in ghee make a really worthwhile adittion. Can you get cans of it down your way.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sumacs good stuff, didn't really know of it 'till a couple of years ago. Tends to be good with fish. Mix some of my own spices too though.the za'atar mix from the place down the road is pretty good.
Hope you enjoy it, it's one of my fave things, texture, taste the whole shebang.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bet it smells wonderful in there. Remember my first time in an eastern souk. The smells were like butterflies dancing over you.
Was in my mates garden earlier and all the delicate herbs were being masked by the lovage - which I'm not overly fond of.
Good picture, would be interesting to have a rumage through, always like a peek in folks pantries and spice stores. Cheers for posting up.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bet it smells wonderful in there. Remember my first time in an eastern souk. The smells were like butterflies dancing over you.
Was in my mates garden earlier and all the delicate herbs were being masked by the lovage - which I'm not overly fond of.
Good picture, would be interesting to have a rumage through, always like a peek in folks pantries and spice stores. Cheers for posting up.

You are welcome for a rummage any time Colin. The fresh beds are rampant at the moment ...and the Cardoon is fighting the wormwood and St Johns wort for dominance :D

Cardoon by British Red, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE