Vanish Spray.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I honestly don't know. I suspect it'd be fine, but I'd rinse really well, and I'd probably scrub first using something straightforward and simple like fairy liquid.

You might contact Vanish and ask ?

What are you trying to clean off the goretex ?

M

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I'd rather not think about what it is TBQH! You know, it'll probably be fine with a run round the washer and a dollop of techwash. It's just me anting my kit to look pristine(ish).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shove it in the washing machine :)
I do mine in it, and Himself's too.....blighter even shoved my parachute in the washing machine :rolleyes: washed off all that lovely waterproofing from the smoke from birch fires :sigh:

You'll probably need to re-proof it afterwards though. I don't find the wash in waterproofing is as good as the spray on stuff, not for hard wearing kit.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think the spray is as breathable, but it seems to outlast the wash in stuff by a considerable margin.
Then again, our kit has a hard life and is used in all weathers, it gets filthy, it gets scratched and scraped and well worn.

Having said that though, even Son2's waterproofs which were (he's still working from home just now) only worn to walk to and from the train stations needed re-done pretty often with the wash in stuff.

Might make a good thread; a discussion on waterproofing assorted kit and materials.

Reactions: MrEd and Ooops

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I like my stuff to be clean, and well sorted so it lasts and works the best it can. I use

- nikwax tekwash to wash everything - I either make a bucket or a bathfull and use a washing up type sponge and do it by hand,

- nikwax spray on TX direct (I have noticed the same thing as toddy, the spray on seems ‘better’) I apply this as needed, atleast once or twice a year - I just hang my jacket up and spray it with the house then spray the TX direct

- nikwax tent and gear solarproof on my tent and ruck once a year - I wash the tent down first but the ruck I don’t bother tbh, I just hose it off.

I leave all of it to air dry, in the sun if it’s nice or hanging in the garage if not!

I wouldn’t use vanish on any technical materials tbh, what stains are you trying to remove?

ed

p.s I have tried all sorts of other stuff in the past from graingers, fabsil etc but keep coming back to the nikwax as it works as a system for me and is readily available and (comparatively) cheap. I buy the big bottles.

Reactions: Toddy

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Nikwax is my go to for washing and re-proofing outdoor gear. I still use the wash in nikwax but always make sure the washing matching is clean and free of residual powder and liquid. I use a tumble dryer on a specific outdoor clothing setting which seems to help the waterproofing ‘set’. I wash waterproof layers about 3/4 tines a year and fully re proof at least once or sometimes twice a year.
I wash all my base layers and shirts in ‘Basewash’ which seems to pressure the life of them and prevent the build up odour within the fabric..
You can use Nikwax neat on stains and give it a scrub - do not use any detergents or vanish type things on technical layers!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE