Vandals or idiots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Been for a mooch around my permission today with a veiw to practising a few bits.
As soon as i walked into the trees i could see something not quite right. Walking a bit further i noticed a tree that just the other day had been leaning against another. Now this tree had been part cut through by some kids a few years earlier. the way it had fallen ment it was well and truly wedged aginst the other and was actually quite a comfy seat and place i used when carving.

Today it is like this.
P1000427.jpg

P1000426.jpg

i was a little miffed to say the least, so looking around i also notices other signs of people abusing what is not theres.
P1000435.jpg

P1000434.jpg

P1000433.jpg

P1000432.jpg

P1000424.jpg

P1000425.jpg

in some of the pics someone has tried to remove some burl but in the process damaged them so just continued hacking away and leaving the mess on the floor.

I have informed the landowner of this and he assures me that nobody has been given permission to use the woods apart from myself. The area in question isnt very big maybe 100yds by 50yds but this is on private property.

Anyway rant over

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
much as i hate to say it, they're bushcrafter tracks surely? that's someone going out "wild camping" and helping themselves to a bit of burl that they found so that they can carve themselves a nice kuska just like the one they've seen on here. as a forum/community we have to condem "wild camping" but as individuals a large proportion of us us not only condone but actively encourage the practice, the reality of that situation is that this is exactly the kind of behaviour we're encouraging (all be it inadvertantly).

tidy up the mess that they left trying to remove the burl and the tree'll be fine

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We get that in some of the woods we use (Hugo can confirm this), although most of the damage is caused by Mountain Bikers (kids and adults) making ramps and banked turns, we know it's them as some of them were stupid enough to put a video on You Tube of them doing it, some of it though is just mindless vandalism.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The annoying thing is, its where i hang my hammock from and none of the burl that has been cut was big enough to make a kuksa out of.. i have looked around the area and the better specimens are higher in the trees..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There looks to be some of that birch missing John, is there a fire ring nearby or has somebody taken it home for their wood burner maybe?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Yes there is some missing mate. like i said though they wernt large burls so not sure whats gone on.
Just had a call fom the landowner and he says if they are caught he will prosecute for criminal damage.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Any chance of setting up a trail cam or something on that felled log for some evidence? Chances are they may be back for more wood?

Glad this hasn't affected your permission rights and tidying up the area is a good idea only I wonder what is the best way to treat trees that have been hacked at?

Steve.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I thought about the trail cam but sods lore it would be found and stolen knowing my luck.
Im just glad they didnt cut the trees down altogether to get the burls, what got me the most was the way it was done.
Y ou can see the axe cuts in the pics, i would have prefered them to have used a saw and done a neat job of it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes there is some missing mate. like i said though they wernt large burls so not sure whats gone on.
Just had a call fom the landowner and he says if they are caught he will prosecute for criminal damage.

I kind of meant the logs of birch missing, it looks like they've left the ends hooked up on the trees but then sawn lengths down to the main trunk?

The burl thing is odd though, it looks like kids who've got hold of a machete or billhook.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Looks to be the work of what I like to call chavcrafters, wannabee bushcrafters with a small amount of knowledge and very little respect. Possibly youngsters who should know better but don't.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Don't be too harsh.

Someone looks as if they want to have some firewood drying off and getting some burr.

They obviously need some tutelage and are perhaps are too shy to ask someone else for help.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Maybe just kids who wanted to try out something in the woods (after seeing Ray Mears?) but don't understand the consequences yet (everyone has to learn at some point). If this is the case and you see them, maybe you can learn them how to treat the forest with some respect? (in a positive way)

Or just some morons...:(

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
I've helped do some work with the police and landowners surrounding the illegal driving of rights of way with the Green Lane Association and we had mounted a infra red camera that caught vehicle number plates and time stamps on images that the police were then able to use. Never had an issue with losing the camera, but did take a while to get the time delay right!

If it happens again, maybe something to consider.

Good luck and hope you never need any of the advice.

Rich

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Malicious idiots or just idiots? What I mean is a little knowledge is dangerous and it looks like they had that hence the damage. If you don't know better does that make you malicious / mindless or just someone who needs to learn a bit more before go out and trying things? Although the damage is bad and it looks like the person(s) didn't have as much common sense to realise they weren't doing things right but I wonder if they had good intentions but needed showing how to do the things they wanted to do?

BTW how did you lot learn? Was it by going out and doing it? Perhaps a course? Perhaps reading a lot then trying things out?

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Pff, I see no reason to differentiate.

Although I would use a different word to describe both. They may lack the skills and knowledge to do it properly, but that just looks like pointless vandalism to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE