Vancouver area resources

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I will be spending 3 months in Vancouver for work reasons over the coming winter from mid November. I am looking for recommendations, links and stuff, to Bushcraft resources close to Vancouver. I guess my main interests are in:
  • Local crafts (wood, leather, etc.): interesting places to visit perhaps with demonstrations, sources of useful items of hand made kit
  • Sharp things of all sorts but with a utility purpose

But anything 'bushcrafty' of course!

Thanks,

Chris

bearbait

You could try the Museum of Anthropology (http://www.moa.ubc.ca/) for a great display of First Nations' - particularly Haida - cultural artefacts. They produced some fantastic carvings and weavings, and even steam bending dugout canoes. See also their bentwood boxes. You may get some inspiration!

Enjoy Vancouver. It's one of those cool cities surrounded by water and awesome mountains.

bearbait

You could also try the Visitor Information Centre - a.k.a. VIC - at Canada Place (downtown waterfront); they may have some info on demos etc. However Canada, or at least B.C. , seems to shut down late September and certainly by Thanksgiving (tomorrow). Many campgrounds are closed, as indeed are most of the Provincial Parks, and also "attractions". Mind you, it is getting cold: forecasts for last night around B.C. were down to -10C.

I also second the Sea to Sky Highway suggestion from Shewie, plus you must try the Icefield Parkway in the Rockies if you get a chance. It's a bit of a haul from Vancouver - but the scenery is pretty fantastic, as indeed it is just about anywhere in B.C.

Being around Vancouver early winter you should get an opportunity for skiing and snowshoeing close to the city - or even up at Whistler. However B.C. is hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics in Feb so you may find it'll get very busy/mad/expensive around then!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE