Uses of birch oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Firstly I am assuming that birch oil is the stuff extracted from birch bark so if this assumption is wrong I have completely bodged it already :)

I have read in the past of the Beilski partisans in the Second World War using birch oil for the treatment of skin conditions, and a hand care salve I use contains birch oil anyone know if I can just use a bit of the stuff i extracted myself?

Also I was shown it used as a waterproofing treatment for leather on the woodlore campcraft course anyone know if this would also work for leather boots sheaths etc?

Sorry if I should of put this in flora and fauna I wasnt sure which one to go for

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Self extracted Birch oil - why not?
Uses include - wood and rope preservative, insect repellant, leather treatment, perfume (I love it!) and no douby more.....

Jul 7, 2011
Hampshire
Sorry, but thought I would bump this rather than make a new topic. :)

I'm sure I saw a vid with Mears making some of this in a tin and he listed a whole load of uses.. but I'm buggered if I can find the exact video now (I keep coming across the one where he makes pine tar)

Can this be used as a glue? For instance if I were to tie some cordage around a stake, and then coated the cord in birch oil/tar it would obviously protect the cordage but would it also act as a glue?

Thanks.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Birch oil is magic stuff.
If you have problems with sore and smelly feet, make a inner sole of birch bark. It's anti bacterial and reduces the smell to a minimun, and the birch oil and other active ingredients in the bark keeps your skin soft as a babys bottom.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That was Birch tar. :)

Is it also what is known as Birch oil? I doubt it as i doubt that would be good for some of the uses listed as oils on this thread.

So guys, Birch oil...... How does one go about extracting this stuff?

Sorry, but thought I would bump this rather than make a new topic. :)

I'm sure I saw a vid with Mears making some of this in a tin and he listed a whole load of uses.. but I'm buggered if I can find the exact video now (I keep coming across the one where he makes pine tar)

Can this be used as a glue? For instance if I were to tie some cordage around a stake, and then coated the cord in birch oil/tar it would obviously protect the cordage but would it also act as a glue?

Thanks.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That was Birch tar. :)

Is it also what is known as Birch oil? I doubt it as i doubt that would be good for some of the uses listed as oils on this thread.

So guys, Birch oil...... How does one go about extracting this stuff?

By boiling and distillation? Is birch oil not the same as turpentine then?

Liam

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Oil from birchbark contains fenoles like guajacol, kresol and pyrogallol, and a whole lot of other eteric oils I dont remember the name on now. It is extracted by dry destillation (?) and is anti bacterial and has proven to be effective against some skin deseases and rheumatism.
Birch bark is one of the most advanced materials nature is providing. It is water proof, and breathes like Gore Tex (only 100times better), food stored in birch bark containers keeps fresh for much longer than plastic/paper. It's antiseptic properties makes it a perfect band aid, and the oils in the bark helps the wound heal much faster.
In erlier days I spent 10-14 days in the Femundsmarka National park during summer season fishing, and there was alwas a problem keeping the earth worms fresh for more than 3-4 days, but in a birch bark container they stayed fresh and viril for the wohle trip.
Other uses are as mentioned as a inner sole in your shoes to help the feet stay fresh and sound.
Birch bark has also been used as a underlayer under the traditional gras roofing you find on many traditional scandinavian houses.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You learn something new every day. Thanks for that. :)

Oil from birchbark contains fenoles like guajacol, kresol and pyrogallol, and a whole lot of other eteric oils I dont remember the name on now. It is extracted by dry destillation (?) and is anti bacterial and has proven to be effective against some skin deseases and rheumatism.
Birch bark is one of the most advanced materials nature is providing. It is water proof, and breathes like Gore Tex (only 100times better), food stored in birch bark containers keeps fresh for much longer than plastic/paper. It's antiseptic properties makes it a perfect band aid, and the oils in the bark helps the wound heal much faster.
In erlier days I spent 10-14 days in the Femundsmarka National park during summer season fishing, and there was alwas a problem keeping the earth worms fresh for more than 3-4 days, but in a birch bark container they stayed fresh and viril for the wohle trip.
Other uses are as mentioned as a inner sole in your shoes to help the feet stay fresh and sound.
Birch bark has also been used as a underlayer under the traditional gras roofing you find on many traditional scandinavian houses.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
So birch tar and birch oil are two different fhings? Or the same?

Is birch tar extracted by using the 2 tins method Mears showed? And the oil is seperated by distilling the tar?

How does that work? Would distilling it just remove the water and leave everything else?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Birch oil used to be known as Russian petroleum, and was issued to the British army as rifle oil prior to the First World War. (Source: "The Small Book", Army Code B 50, 1908.)

Alan

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
So birch tar and birch oil are two different fhings? Or the same?

Is birch tar extracted by using the 2 tins method Mears showed? And the oil is seperated by distilling the tar?

How does that work? Would distilling it just remove the water and leave everything else?

I have only made birch tar once many years ago and it is a thick tarish substance.
From Everything Mac's link it looks like what they call birch oil is extracted from the leaf buds by slow steam destillation.
I would guess that you find many of the same active ingredients in both.

Edit: Cut'n paste google translate with some more infor regarding the various use of birch:

Birch has widely been used in folk medicine in Scandinavia. There are lots of good advice how to use different parts of the birch, the leaves, bark, wood, tar, or ashes.

Tea of ​​leaves against gout and hemorrhoids, and eating the young leaves could loosen kidney stones. Towards the gout one could fill the bed with fresh birch leaves. Birch twigs with leaves were laid on the floor as possible against fleas and lice, and also used to whip oneself in the sauna to increase blood circulation. Birch Leaves were used for dyeing, and it usually gave a yellow color. Birch sap, which could be collected from the trunks of trees in early spring, were used in the hair to get it to heal. It could also be consumed as a beverage, either in fresh or fermented form.

Leaf Buds of birch could be collected in the spring, put on alcohol and placed in the sun for 10 days. After the liquid was filtered and diluted with water was the medicine ready for use. It seemed like a blood cleansing, stimulating and healing agent, and was used to compress over the wound. You could also create a sårmiddel by heating the twigs, bark, or as birch and collect the oil that flowed out. Lubrication oil of birch was used on damaged skin, chapped lips, cold sores and aching fingers, and it should also help against rashes and insect bites. Crushed, dried birch bark was also used to sprinkle the powder on the wound, including the children's sore asses. It could also be mixed with butter and used as a salve on burns. Dried and crushed birch bark can be stored in closed glass so you have the means available throughout the year.

The thin layer of birch bark (bark silk) that lies between the bark and the wood was accepted as a good remedy to stop bleeding and as a magnet for boils. Added right on the fresh wounds stopped bleeding. Bark and bark of birch contains material stearopten acting antiseptic, and this may help to explain the effect when the silk never be used as a patch.

Of birch ashes handicraft was known as "støypelut" by pouring boiling water over it. This lye was used for many different purposes. For example, it could be applied to burn, itch, scabies, ringworm, eczema and other rashes. It was also used to wash the hair, the clean hair and scalp for lice and did her hair bright, shiny and not at least clean. In many places, this ash lye the only form of "soap" you knew. It has been reported elsewhere that the Sami have used birch ash itches, scabies, rashes and various kinds of works.

Witches Brooms (also called marek linguists) that grows on the branches of birch can be a sign that the tree stands on a vannåre. Such costs were attributed to witches' supernatural powers but then thought that Mara had been trapped in the attic. When these witch costs (due to attacks by the fungus Taphrina betulae) was hung up indoors, it should help with nightmares.

Bjørkebladte of urinary tract symptoms

Tea of ​​birch leaves is one of the best urine and sweat assets we have in herbal medicine. The effect is long lasting and it is important to note that birch has no irritating effect on the kidneys, as is the case with, for example, juniper berries. The powerful diuretics effect can help to drive out the kidney and bladder stones and bjørkete can also kill harmful bacteria in the kidneys and urinary tract. Recent studies in Finland have found that birch leaf extract kills the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. To achieve the full effect of diuretics can pull of birch added a knife broth with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), which promotes the extraction of the diuretics drug hyperosid. Birch Leaf also has a certain reputation as a remedy for arthritis, plain gout, gout and fibromyalgia. The herb can be effective when too much water in the body and to dissolve waste products in the connective tissue and excrete toxins.

Bjørkebladte are recommended in chronic proteinuria (protein in urine). Teen leads to a significant reduction in protein excretion in the urine. Extracts made from 30 g of finely-chopped leaves to one quart of boiling water, and three cups of this tea is drunk daily. The same tea is also used for kidney disorders and chronic inflammation of the urinary bladder and the bladder and kidney stones. During one month they drink two cups of tea daily, one in the morning on an empty stomach and one in the afternoon at five o'clock. Moreover, one must keep a diet that allows new stones are not formed. Bjørkebladte also lowers blood cholesterol and stimulates the secretion of bile. The high content of vitamin C in the birch leaf explains their effect against scurvy, while the content of different tanning helps to prevent inflammation.

The use of birch bark

Birch is highly valued as a medicinal plant in Russia and Siberia, especially for the treatment of arthritis. Large amounts of birch tar oil produced in these areas. Common birch and silver birch used in the same way. Birch Tar extracted from the bark of birch and applied to the single pass of skin diseases, rheumatism and sciatica.

Decoction of the bark can be used as a lotion in chronic disorders such as psoriasis and eczema. The bark can also pull in the oil and applied to rheumatic joints. A decoction of the bark have otherwise been consumed to the relief of recurrent fevers.

Birch bark has been used as a remedy for warts in Scandinavia, China and North America. The bark contains two components (betulin and betulic acid) which is shown to have antiviral effects on the wart-forming papilloma virus. If you have access to fresh birch bark can tape stuck a piece of the moist bark placement directly on the wart. One can also make a tea of ​​birch bark by adding a teaspoon or two of powdered bark to a cup of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes. Teen drinking can be rubbed directly on the wart.

Essential oil of birch

Essential oil of birch produced by steam distillation of leaf buds. It is pale yellow, viscous and with a balsam-like fragrance. The oil contains mainly betulenol and other seskviterpener and crystallize at low temperatures. Birch oil is not considered toxic and are not irritating or sensitizing. It acts anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, bile driving, sweat, urine, diuretic, antipyretic and tonic. The oil is mainly used in shampoos and other hårpreparater, and in preparations for eczema and psoriasis.

Preparation of birch to medicine

It was formerly customary to drink tea of ​​birch leaves as a "blood purifying spring cure". When taking 2 tablespoons dried birch leaves in a large cup of boiling water. Two such teacups should be consumed daily for two weeks for treatment to have any appreciable effect. In chronic disorders such as rheumatic complaints and eczema should use birch leaf in several months time. Some have found that switching between birch and large nettle (Urtica dioica) every third day is particularly effective in chronic poisoning. The effect of birch leaf is mainly attributed flavonglykosidene where hyperosid and quercitrin are the main components.

Of birch bark, one takes 10 g of bark to 2 cups water and make a decoction that is used to cover and cold rinses. Of birch tar we use 15 g tar to make 100 g of ointment for the treatment of scabies and other skin parasites, or up to 8 g per 100 g of tar ointment for the treatment of other skin diseases.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Birch tar is extracted from Birch, Betula pendula.
Turpentine is distilled from Pine resin.

For Pine Pitch glue, just put some pine resin in a tin, heat it up until it turns to a liquid and add some powdered charcoal and some rabbit droppings.
There are lots of good tutorials here on bcuk and on YouTube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE