Uses for Fungus, other than as dinner :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What fungus do you use ? and what do you use it for ?

There are the classic tinder fungus....chagga, horsehoof and cramp balls, but they all have other uses too.
There's the razor strop one as well, but what else ?

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Iuse yeasy a lot which is in the fungi kingdom - so its great for drinking - which isn't eating :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've used dyers polypore for tinder before, works well, and it can be used for dying too! I've used the horses hoof for amadou and I've seen it used as a hearth board before, I used some chaga as a hearth board just today, worked well! I've heard of cramp balls used as an insect repellent, smell quite nice too! I've used an artists conk for drawing on. A maze gill polypore, especially when charred, works as a good tinder too. Chaga so quite famous for its medicinal value, the tea is pleasant but you can make an tincture with it- could be with a try? Something with a trama layer can be used as a wick, the fungus itself can be hollowed out and filled with beeswax and used as a candle, not tried that one yet though. I've used fungi, any dried polypore will work really, to let smouldering on a fire for a while and you get lovely embers from them :).

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have heard somewhere of people using large artist fungus Ganoderma as an impromptu stove, basically setting it alight with a pot or mug on top. It burns slowly enough that you should be able to heat a one-pot meal before the fungus burns through.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Will have to dig out the article but I remember reading that someone was considering using it as biodegradable packaging..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We use birch polypore for medicine. It goes on cuts that are going manky or as an inhalant for blocked up sinuses.

Webcaps can be used to make a vivid red dye, but considering just that some of the most toxic webcaps are the bright red, I would not try it. It have seen a nice iron madder colour from one of the polypores.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE