Used shogun advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I've seen a well used j reg LWB Shogun 2.5 diesel Automatic for sale at a dealer. 160k on the clock. Really well used and a couple of dings in the bodywork. Also the passenger side window is a bit reluctant to wind up! Theses some corrosion obviously but it seems to have been looked after. It runs ok from cold and has had recent filter & fluid changes. Havent managed a test drive yet as I had my daughter with me. I'm hoping to go back on Tuesday.

The guy wants £995 for it. What's the general consensus? This would be my first 4x4 and first Automatic. I want a family sized vehicle capable of dealing with moderately bad terrain for a serious budget.
Thanks in advance H.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Seems ok price wise, but you should compare it with some other shoguns maybe on auto trader that will give you a good idea of what you can get for your money

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Do you know a mechanic who would take a look at it for a drink.....?
160k is not a problem (Especially a diesel) it is how it has done the 160k's.....
Has it a service history, when was the gearbox / diff / (Axle oil changed) ask these questions and watch their face.......if the response is positive and firm, it's a start.....

Tom

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I am not trying to put you off, but I had a Shogun a few years ago.

Check the bukhead for rust, mine fell apart.

Great car to drive, but drank fuel like it had a hole in the tank.

It also was the most expensive car I have ever had to maintain.

Sold it, bought a Land Rover 110 County TD and never looked back.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I was just about to say this is in the wrong thread but then realised it said "shogun" not SHOTGUN..........

DOH..............................

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
The 2.5 is quite pedestrian. You're looking at a cruise of about 60mpg and fuel consumption of about 28mpg. I'd go for the newer 2.8 TD which has more pep if you plan on regularly covering any real distances. Fuel consumption is slightly poorer at about 25mpg.

I drive a Delica L400 2.8TD. I'd choose one over the Shogun / Pajero every time unless i planned on regularly doing extreme off roading. You get all the advantages of a van, a people carrier and an off-roader. I had the same concerns about an old auto when I first bought my bus. They're pretty bullet proof to be honest as long as you stay on top of fluid changes.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm having SERIOUS doubts about this......I'd buy a Landy but funds prohibit this. I'm even considering the dreaded Mondeo!!!!!! It needs to be fit for a family and I really dont want to buy a lemon or a money pit....been there done that.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
A big 4x4 will be expensive to run, especially if you get it for less than a grand unless you're prepared to do most of the work yourself.

Speak to these people: http://www.pocuk.com/forums/ for more advice.

I've been trawling these guys for a few days but thanks anyway. Do I need a big 4X4? Probably not....the Shogun I looked at was tatty even for its age so i'll probably go with a large car instead.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
have a look at the Suzuki Grand Vitara. 2.0l TD, big enough for the family and kit, 2 and 4 wheel drive, pretty basic to maintain and bomb proof, get the older style if you can, had mine for 2 years + now and no problems so far ( touch wood ! )

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A fella on another forum last week talked of how well his Octavia 4x4 performed in the heavy snow, took it all in its stride he said. So, family vehicle that will get you over fields and down tracks easily.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello i drive an imported nissan terrano /pathfinder r50 2.7 tdi auto pulls like a train and returns me 32 mpg , not as much as a car but i wouldent be without it.

Nenook

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
My current MOT is due in the 2nd week of Jan......and needs a LOT of work, so time is getting short and there's not a lot of choice up here, so I will probably have to settle for something a bit dull.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE