US modular sleep system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

willyb

Jan 19, 2010
bournemouth
Hi guys, i was wondering if any of the members who own a US modular sleep system bag could tell me the size of the 3 bags in inches?
Does this sleep system coming in various sizes, or is it a standard size for all?
I've been thinking of getting myself one, but everytime i see one on ebay it seem everyone gives the sizes differently!
So if any members who have one could give me details as to the length and how wide they are at the shoulders and at the feet, i would be very greatfull!
If it helps i'm 6'3 tall and around 17stone, so if anyone is around that size and build how do you find the sleeping bag space wise?
Thanks
willy

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Hi.Just measured my MSS and its 6ft 10in long from top of the hood part to the foot.2ft 5in wide at the shoulders and 20 in wide at the foot.:)
It has been changed though to the ACU digital type but im assuming the sizes are the same?Dont know if this is the standard size..

Ive only measured the green part(patrol).Do you want the bivvy measurements as well?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Oh,and if you get one try and get the Tennier industries made one.Theres a few fakes out there..

Too true, I've heard the knock offs are pants! I don't know what size mine is but I'm about 6' and 14 1/2 stone and there's loads of room in mine. I've got broad shoulders and had problems with other bags but these are built for US marines and the like, those lads are big! I doubt you'll have issues if you get one but don't quote me on that! Personally I think they're great value for money, 2 bags and a bivvi for around £80, happy days! I keep banging on about them when people ask but it's because it's the best money I've spent on outdoor kit IMHO...If I get a chance I'll measure the black bag for you as it's the smaller of the two, might be able to get sizes up tomorrow for you WillyB.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
:DThey are good arent they?!I think all owners of one should have a competition to see how small you can compress it to!
Just for a laff like..

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
they do a XL size, i googled this system furiously before getting mine at xmas fom strikeforcesupplies for £99, the real deal tennier one, all labelled etc, brand new, they sell through ebay stores or from their shop in bath

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_sleeping_bag.php scroll down for tag numbers for standard and xl versions

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00148.html all the dimensions of the standard

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20124&from=6 strikeforces web listing for it

no connections other than a mutliple times happy customer of theirs

e2a: i dont compress ine as i have a thermarest inside the bivvibag along with both sleeping bags as well as a karrimat on the outside of the bivvi but all rolled up, still all fits (very snugly) into the stuff sack. so i just pull out of sack, unroll climb in, sorted and snug

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
They do different sizes of this bag I think. Mine is the standard size and I find it too snug across the shoulders when all the bags are together. I'm 6ft and 15st. I suppose it depends on how snug you are prepared to sleep, but I like a bit of room and although it's much heavier, I prefer the British arctic bag - it's HUGE. Easily big enough to fit a summer bag inside if you want to jack up the season rating (not sure why you would want to though).

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
:DThey are good arent they?!I think all owners of one should have a competition to see how small you can compress it to!
Just for a laff like..

I only compress mine just before I need to but I can get it slightly larger than a football with everything in it. It goes inside my bergen at the bottom with room to spare for my dry bag. My thermarest then gets strapped to the bottom of my bergen. Not sure what size I've got but I don't think they're as bad as some people let on when compressed. They're a bit bulky but if I get a good nights sleep in the winter I'm onto a winner. I put the green bag into the black one and don't snap it in if it's really cold. The bigger bag in the smaller one makes it proper toastie...2 years in and I'm still a happy camper!

willyb

Jan 19, 2010
bournemouth
Thanks for the info guys! Anyway i've gone and placed my order now , so all i can do is hope it fits ok! If not i'll just have to send it back and suck up the fact i've wasted money in postage!
Onec again thanks for your help

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I got mine used,but its genuine,not mil-tec´s copy.It served me well up there in lapland before christmas,when i used it for second time,and we had temperatures from windy -30 celsius to warmth of log heated army tent,which offered some +8 degrees.The only minus i find was that its really snug for me as im 190cm tall.If i would be some 5cm shorter,it would have been better,when i slep in fox hole that i dug in pack of snow.But i put on my woolhat and sorel boots inner felt shoes,to prevent getting cold,as my head and toes were almost in tension at the ends of bag.Othervise,its really good for guy who appreciates multifuntion over weight.

willyb

Jan 19, 2010
bournemouth
Well i managed to get myself a us mms bag from strikeforcesuppiles, and althought i think its a great bit of kit, i had to send it back! Have to say i was sorry to let it go, as i would have loved to have kept it!
For me, i found it to be just a tad on the small size length wise!
The bivi bag and green patrol bag were both a good size, but i found the black cold weather bag just a little to small! Felt as if i was being crushed from my head to my toes!
Going across the shoulders this bag has plenty of room, and i was more then happy with it!
I would say if your over 6 foot you would need any XL size, so my question to you guys now is " Anyone know where i can get an XL US MMS bag from?"
Cheers
Willy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE