US ECWCS Goretex jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Hi all,i have just purchased a US ECWCS goretex jacket(desperately hopes it arrives before saturdays trip to Dartmoor)and i was wondering about the possible benefits of removing the nylon liner,i read on another site that someone claimed the liner made the jacket clammy thus removing the breathability of the goretex,any thoughts before i butcher a decent jacket.I own a French army mvp jacket which leaked(possibly through the poppers on the shoulder)so i am hoping for better from this jacket as my Berghaus Paclite jacket is about as tough as a sandwich bag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd try it out first Ben, you might not get much condensation as folk burn at different rates.

You want mild damp weather to give it a fair test for clamminess, plenty of that at the moment. I get a certain amount of moisture during exercise with any of the top end fabrics, I don't think you can avoid it.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Had one years ago....thought they were Canadian ? Any road.....great coyt....pit zips help regulate temp. My advice is to wesh it first to help with the breathe. I had the fleece anall , good kit...you'll love the pockets on it. Enjoy

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Iv tried loads over the years and not matter wot always got clammy or leaked at seams ,but then one day found my perfect partner ,got cozy with her an then put on weight Then put on eBay . Iv been test running my new ridgeline mallard 5xl one wicker and a light flease so far so good ,give your coat a good blast before mutilation .

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I wore the jacket on a wild camp on Dartmoor over the weekend and it performed great guns,under arm pit zips helped regulate my heat,i took my softie jacket because the forecast said it would be chilly at night but to be honest i did not need it,sat out all night in my Ecwcs jacket with just a wicking t shirt on under it and was roasty toasty.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Had one years ago....thought they were Canadian ? Any road.....great coyt....pit zips help regulate temp. My advice is to wesh it first to help with the breathe. I had the fleece anall , good kit...you'll love the pockets on it. Enjoy

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

SNuff Said

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
All those I know who use ECWCS kit rate it highly so you should have no problems.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 without tapatalk.

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
The Gen 1 ones had a heavier Gore-tex with smaller micro pores thats why they get clammy, Gen 3 has bigger pores so breaths much better not sure about Gen 2. As for the liner it should be button in [on the Gen 1 & 2] polyester batting the same as a US poncho liner. Gen 3 is polar fleece and does not attach as far as I know.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Spent a few hours on Dartmoor yesterday and was unlucky enough to be in the middle of three hailstone storms,luckily for me i was wearing my ecwcs jacket,i think i am in love with it,kept me dry and warm and when i get a bit too sweaty the pit vents cooled me right down,allowing the 50mph wind to blow through and cool me,great map pocket under the zips stormflap,my only bugbear is that the hoods peak is not wired

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I've been looking at one myself, with a view to purchasing and was wondering if anyone else had used them. The one I was considering is the Helikon ECWCS Jacket Generation II, is that the one you have? Anyone else used this particular jacket?

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
The Helikon jacket is not goretex,looks like a copy of the issue jacket,i got lucky on ebay and got mine for £42 almost brand new,worth looking on ebay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE