US Army Bivvy Bag

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
British Army Issue Arctic Sleeping Bag Cover

I got this as part of a swap, have had a look at it and think I will stick to my tent or a tarp

Its olive green, with a zip down the middle and a hood with drawstring. Looks like it would be roomyish inside I expect a bit of room for a bit of kit? Its also got a bit of writting on the hood but not sure what it says cant make it out so obviously it isnt that prominent. Doesnt matter when your sleeping in it thought eh?

Ideally I would like to swap it for a tarp, no need for chord etc just so long as it has hanging points etc. Either that or some material to make one myself

What have you got?

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
192cm from top of zip to centre of toe of bag when laid out.
85cm wide at the top
70cm wide at the bottom
hood approx 50x55cm

Sorry for the poor pic

IMGP0671.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
ahem!!!

correct it IS a british army issue arctic sleeping bag cover.

Not Goretex! it's PU coated nylon, the same stuff as the waterproof coating on the underside of the 58 sleeping bag.

the wording inside the hood probably says no more than it's description and a stock number. British kit doesn't give use instructions like US gear.

sweaty as hell! i.e. 0% breathability!!!!

worth about £10 perhaps more to a collector.

sorry mate, you need to research your kit before you try to swap it.:nono:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks for the heads up, got it off a fellow member as a us army bivvy bag. Seems I have been had a tad. Ah well will change the title and see if anything comes of it.

So am I to guess it is simply a waterproof cover, no special isulation properties (with it being arctic)

PS Thanks for the info, Long Live The King!!!

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Got to put my hand up, I was told it was an American bivvy and I chucked it in as an extra with the swap with chambers. I never used it so I can,t make comment. It was thrown in as an extra in good faith.

phil

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oooh, the story continues! :lmao:
no no insulation, just plain old PU coted nylon, like a poncho or tarp.

the special insulation was the down sleeping bag it covered.;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
erm...dunno, I'd leave it as it is, use it as a cover to keep your sleeping gear clean dry when not in it.

otherwise you could still swap it as a cover as you intended, don't cut it though, it's more useful as it is, IMHO;)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Dont worry guys, I appriciate being told what it is so then I know not only for myself but for others too, also puts a bit of a visual record on the site for others for reference with a picture and description.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE