Urgent help needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As of yesterday evening, I am booked onto a week long survival course, taking place I believe somewhere in Dartmoor- next week. By all accounts it is fairly tough- you have only the clothes you turn up in (max three layers), and you can't take any food, lighters etc etc. I believe you are allowed a bivvy bag, but not a sleeping bag, or a basha. You have to catch and forage if you are going to eat at all over the week. I believe they provide you with some kit, including a SAK and possibly some snare wires. I think the terrain will be pine woodland, probably with ready access to moorland (from a quick map recce of likely spots in Dartmoor!).

So my question is basically: How can I make myself most comfortable for the week?

I'm particularly interested in what food I am likely to be able to get- I assume rabbits if I am lucky with the snares, possibly squirrels.

In terms of plants, i would have thought I’d be a bit limited at this time of year- possibly thistle roots?

Natural cordage- fine roots?

Many thanks! (and I’ll report back if I survive!)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If it's a course then surely they will each you all this. In pine forest and moorland at this time of the year, the only thing you'll need is a miracle and a good sprinkling of luck. Who is running it?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If it's a course then surely they will each you all this. In pine forest and moorland at this time of the year, the only thing you'll need is a miracle and a good sprinkling of luck. Who is running it?

I reckon its a Mil-Ex. Maybe wrong.

Regardless , I'm sure you'll have fun.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sound pretty gruesome

My advice would be to cancel the hardcore survival thing and get on a nice fluffy bushcraft course :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That Rabbit Link makes an interesting read!

It's a course run by the forces, and by all accounts, pretty tough. The first couple of nights are designed to be misery to break you down a touch with little prior preperation, then the teaching apparantly really kicks in during later days on the course. I suppose i'm looking for a bit of a head start- not to cheat, but more to get the most out of the course.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
if comfort its your after i would make sure what you have got on your back it the best for the job. i would rather he hungry and as warm as i can be than hungry and cold.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Can you make and use a bow drill to make fire? That would help with morale for the first couple of days, especially if you could get to like the taste of pine needle tea ;)

They possibly wont give you wires to snare as this is illegal, they would have to issue proper snares unless the Miliary is exempt from this durng exercise.

I'm not really clued up about the best clothing, but extra warm and waterproof gear that is quick drying would make sense. Maybe there are a few folks on here that could advise you on the best makes.

Anyways, I hope you have a lot of fun and I think you will get to know a lot about your own strenghts and weaknesses too :D

Let us know how it turned out!

Cheers
Ness :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Enforced eating- now that's an idea i can embrace! Will get on it.

In terms of clothing- i was going for a wicking base layer, hooded buffalo style top, windproof smock.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I'd read up on a bit of shelter making too. And like previously mentioned. Plenty of pasta and potatoes and oats to stock up before you go. But they should really show you how to harvest from the environment. If your worried. Stash a G or a B string of a guitar.(pretty much ready made reliable snare) if you know someone who plays, nick an old one. And a fire steel. Both easily concealed. With regards plants, look on naturalbushcraft.co.uk they have a month by month diary for wild foods and normally have pics and videos related too. But to be honest there's got to be more to it than leaving you with no gear. Then sending you on your way with a bit of advice.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got a reasonable idea of shelter making- as long as i have time (and hopefully there will be plenty of that) then the shelter side of things shouldn't be too much of a drama. Insulating myself from beneath is something i haven't had need to do before- would plenty of dry leaves/evergreen vegetation do the trick do you think?

In terms of smuggling kit along- not too keen on that really- i'd feel a bit of a fraud, and apart from anything else, if i get a roaring blaze going on the first night i might attract a bit of suspicion! Never knew about the guitar strings though- good tip for the future!

I'll check out naturalbushcraft- good idea.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Dartmoor and it's winter, 3 Layers........... windproof and waterproof outer is a must and then go for the warmest 2 items you can. IMHO I would recommend woolpower base layer and a thermal jacket, synthetic or down but if it's down make sure it stays dry. If you are allowed I would also take 3 pairs of socks and gloves, you don't have to wear them all at once (or you may when you turn up), always handy to have a dry pair. Make sure you have very waterproof footwear.

Good idea to plan and prepare for this to give yourself the best possible advantages, I have known guys to stash kit around areas they believe courses will be in. Be very careful if you are concealing items, these guys will be very wise to that. If they are found it won't make for an enjoyable experience. The course will be very mentally and physically exhausting, enjoy yourself!

Last edited:

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I've not actually slept out on them. If you can get the right evergreens they make an amazingly comfy bed. ( I used to have a siesta on them when helping a tree surgeon). And also the guitar strings are legal to use. I asked defra myself. As they have an ring eyelet. They arnt locking. And it's made of the same stuff as snare wire too. I use laces or paracord after the noose to blend in better and take their jerking. But normal rules obviously apply to checking snares regular. Don't use rusty ones etc. Can you do a bow drill? If not learn it. I learned myself with online resources to help and did it in two days. Ofcourse not none stop. If you can't one bit of advice I would have found useful is, long steady easy strokes to start. Don't knacker yourself out. When it's really smoking go for it. And if it squeaks. More pressure on the drill.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Some great tips- thanks! The bow drill is something i've never mastered- i've long run out of interest before anything gets too hot. I suspect necesity will do wonders to focus me on the week ahead though!

Anyone had any success with using natural materials to insulate you from above? I seem to remember watching Les Stroud create a 'duvet' using bunches of dry grass tied togteher.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Trouble your going to have is finding dry grass I'd say. The Sami use dry sedge to line there boots etc. But do you really want to look like wurzel gummage? Haha

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
Well if you're out on the moor you're going to have a long cold week ahead of you! In terms of clothing - a wicking merino layer, warm, insulated mid layer (buffalo or down if you can keep it dry) and the all essential waterproof outer! Are waterproof trousers and gaiters ok to use too? They would make the whole thing far more enjoyable and less damp and miserable!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE