Upgrade or upscale?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Pretty basic opinion, exactly as the op asks. Given the choice do I upgrade or upcycle my axe? Currently using a 100+ yo coal board axe that could do with some TLC. Do I bother or do I buy a Karesuando from HH or a GB and have done with it? Answers on a postcard gents. May shock you to know for all I'm no newbie to bushcraft I know next to nothing about axes

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Both. Best way forward!

Get a new one and do something to the old one for some practice/fun.

Any tipsmor help just pm me dude. :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Both. Best way forward!

Get a new one and do something to the old one for some practice/fun.

Any tipsmor help just pm me dude. :)
Very tempting Sam! But then I end up with 2 shiny axes lol. I'm no hammer polisher, an axe or machete is there to be used and abused, but I feel a bit bad something so old dying with me. Any experience with the higher end axes? I'm assuming heat treat and bevel treat it like a knife

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah I've played with the high end Swedish brands over the years, best out there tbh. Gransfors or hultafors bruks, are the best. Wetterlings is also nice but less refined.

If you modify the axe either keep it cool and go slow with power tools and avoid altering the heat great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE