Upcycling Offal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So i've recently made some Duck leg Prosciutto and am in the process of making some herbed Pancetta.

I was wondering if one can do anything , in terms of curing / herbing & preserving , with the Offals? specifically Kidneys and Liver?

This maybe not possibly as obviously Kidneys and Liver are Organ meats rather than Flesh but I'd thought i would ask. Maybe someone knows something from history.

I've recently been salting Egg Yolks so have a bit more of an open mind on what is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My missus regularly makes chicken liver pate but that only keeps if covered in fat then in an airtight container - may be a month or so at best (delicious though).

Historically we know (or rather we have surmised) that pre-historic man ate all the offal fresh sometimes even at the kill site. So, either it was considered too good to share or, it was difficult to preserve.

I don't know if there's much offal in European cooked and dried sausage - may be worth a search.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE