Upcoming birthday ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I am starting to get asked what I'd like and as usual I struggle to think of affordable gear to ask for I don't have much gear but I have a knife,axe,trangia,Kelly kettle.

id like a tarp but no idea of which to ask for I only expect to make single night trips in my canoe.

i hate asking for things as I don't know what people have budget wise so any ideas of low priced gear say under the £50 mark?

Dave

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
For a tarp you could either go for the DD Tarp 3x3 or an Army Basha - depending on how much room your looking for. You wouldn't go far wrong with the 3x3 imo. I have the DD 4x4 and its massive, so much so that I was thinking of swapping for a 3x3.

Another idea would be something to sharpen/maintain the axe and knife with - something like a DC4 stone.

Thanks
Tim

User3326

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
UK
A catapult. Loads of fun and if you practice enough you can take pigeon, squirrel, rabbit etc for the pot. Good skill to have. Sub £25 for a good multiplex/plywood one. Can go into more detail if your interested.

A poncho tarp. Can get a fancy one like the sea to summit nylon one for £45ish (would recommend it, good poncho) or you can get the more basic ones like like the US style ones ( slightly smaller,a bit heavier but still good) for sub £20. Always have one in my bag, really useful bit of kit. Wear it when the rain gets to heavy for dwr treatments. Put a roof over your head and gear when in a bivy. Quick shelter from the rain or sun to have a brew etc.

A bunch of Collins Gem books if you want to learn more about Tree's, plants, wild edibles, birds, herbs etc.

Some wood carving tools. Mora spoon/crook knife

What type of things your into? Apart from canoeing (expesive). What are you interested in learning about? Might help people give more specific ideas.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I have a catapult already still practicing it. I am interested in camping and eating well thinking today I may look for a cheap firebox any ideas there? I'll have a look at those tarps cheers.

Dave

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
How about a Tilley Hat? Might be a little more than £50? Stainless steel water bottle or mug? Maybe something titanium e.g. mug, plate, etc? Some paracord (to make a bracelet)? Cookware? Zebra pot? Compass? Overboard dry bag? Merino wool buff? I could go on... :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
If £50 is the budget, why not ask for a joint present between 2 or 3 of them and get one of the makers to do you a custom knife. Best thing I did was get a custom knife from here, and believe me, its the first of many. My daughters is next (when I am employed again), and I am going for MarkHill for hers :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Well if yer ain't got a tarp then that would be my first choice. I'd consider a Dutch oven if yer canoe camping.yer can knock up a top draw feed in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2015
England
How about a Tilley Hat? Might be a little more than £50? Stainless steel water bottle or mug? Maybe something titanium e.g. mug, plate, etc? Some paracord (to make a bracelet)? Cookware? Zebra pot? Compass? Overboard dry bag? Merino wool buff? I could go on... :)

How come when I asked you what YOU want for your birthday you wouldn't give me a list? I'm now off to look up a zebra pot. (sounds cheap)

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Zebra lunch box around £13-15
Nva raindrop poncho tarp from military mart £9.99 bargain!
Paracord /bungees for tarp
Ipk for groundsheet

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Take a look on MCQBushcraft youtube channel. He uses and recommends a slingshot.

Here it is

[video=youtube;dEo6NSjoxAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEo6NSjoxAM[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE