Up coming Malaysia trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
As a 10 year anniversary, SWMBO and I are planning on a month long trip to Malaysia during the school holidays. :lmao:

The plan is to take in the culture, beaches and lots of diving and generally explore.

While there we would also like to do a jungle bushcraft/survival course. I have been searching the net and am having problems finding a local outfit who run courses.

I would really like to have some of the locals teaching me, rather than a western company sending instructors out there. I do not want to do a 'military' styled course, done those when i got paid to do them.

Can you kind folk recommend anyone? what course(s) have you done out there? what were they like?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

many thanks :You_Rock_

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wolf man,

All jungle survival/bushcraft courses here are taught by ex-Malaysian Army or Police SF and are aimed at the thrill seeker. Others are themed teambuilding courses. An NGO runs a modular forest safety and confidence course which is in effect survival but it takes place at intervals over a year.

None are taught by indigenous people.

If you have done the British Army ones why do you want to do another one? It seems to me that what would fill in the blanks in your knowledge without going over old ground are plants and their uses and the shelter and utensil crafts of the aboriginals and perhaps trapping if that appeals to you and SWMBO.

You then need to be willing to spend some time with indigenous people.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Thanks for the relpy BOD

although i have done the courses on 'jungle survival' during my time, SWMBO has not and has no experience of the jungle (as it is, mine was over 10 years ago, and then the courses were more military based, under the usual time constraints!).

You are totally correct, in that i would gain most from learning about plants, alternative shelter and hunting, etc. I also agree that the best route would be to spend time with the indigenous population, unfortunately time will be a serious limiting factor :(

Hence, i'm trying to find a course that would cover the basic intro for SWMBO, and some more advanced skills/knowledge for me, plus it's always good to go over old ground to remind yourself what you remember or have forgotten.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If going to Sabah, "Uncle Tan" (google) might have some good options for you...

I had some great times there... sorry for this short version... gotta run...

Grtz Johan

That is a good suggestion Wolf man though he is a more tourist orienteated than purely bush craft. Still it is good stuff

Johan,

BTW Ubat is back in business.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Cheers guys

been in touch with UBAT, unfortunateky their lead instructor is visiting the UK while i'm over there :( so no courses :aargh4:

What are the 'Uncle Tan' courses like? When you mentioned that they are 'tourist' based, how so? Is it for would be adventurers, who want to go back home and say they've been and slept out in the jungle, or are any decent skills taught?

Any further suggestions?

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi BOD

leaving the UK in the final week of July and will be there for 4 weeks, back at the end of August.

The plan is the visit as much of Malaysia as possible, and will be visiting both the East and West coasts, primarily for the diving. Also planning on getting a visit to Sipadan Island again for the diving, may as well visit Sarawat while i'm down that way.

Any suggestions on places not to miss???

Not as much as a true course with the guys at Uncle Tan's but some jungle time and the guys could most probably teach you a thing or two.

Not as in: we are gonna teach you bamboo fire saw or anything...

I learned some more when I took sort of a private trip (which ended up with 3 people more cos we liked it...)

I became friends with Lan the camp manager and we went for a couple of days out learning and living.. plant life, track (wild elephants, orang utan etc.), fish etc.

So... not truly organized but I would do it again without hesitating.... Same with Ubat though ;-)

Reminds me a bit of Preben in Sweden... what is it with you guys with bushcraft and courses... we just call that sh*t "living".....

Happy diving btw..... worst dive I had around Sipadan was with 7 turtles and 6 sharks... no exaggeration! Best dive around was with a frigging big tiger shark! Awesome!

So diving takes a bit of your time..... so you can't visit all the highlights of Malaysia and I don't know wether you have any special interests... since BOD is living there he will know a lot more about the current places to be...

Grtz Johan

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE