Unknown Butterfly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Took this picture a few days ago.
I didn't immediately recognise it, but thought it would be easy enough to identify once I got home.
But I can't.
It looks like it may be some kind of skipper butterfly to me. My first thought was a Dingy Skipper, but that's not the case.
It was taken in the south east UK.
If anyone knows what it is I'd love to know...

49932590608_501c2c015c_z.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can't tell you what species it is; it's certainly not one I recognise but it looks more to me like a day flying moth - maybe related to/pale version of orange underwing.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would say that's a moth, possibly an orange underwing but moths can be very variable.

Edit to say Broch beat me to it but here's a link:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Actually, the markings on burnet companion seems to be a better match and the time it flies also matches better.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
burnet companion seems to be a better match...

I think we have a winner!

Yet, Burnet Companion is exactly what it looks like.
You can just see some orange on the under wing. Other details fit as well:
Food Plants - bird's foot trefoil (there was a lot of that around)
Habitat - calcareous soil and meadows (check! That's where it was)

Thanks all. Your knowledge and insight is very much appreciated.

Reactions: Broch

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Oh dear, now look what you've gone and done - that one's not even in my butterflies and moths book so now I'm going to have to find a better book to buy :)

I found it via the butterfly-conservation.org site, it was listed under the similar species section for the dingy skipper.

I must admit I'm not overly impressed by their names, who would call a butterfly dingy and fancy calling a moth after a different moth it is often found with?

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE