uni-com head torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Ok so I've got quite a few lamps and torches bit frankly was getting annoyed with the windup lamps. I have a small gas lantern which is prett good bit wanted something a little smaller
I've seen these LEDs head torches around and never paid much attention to em
Ok so I bought one (uni-com) a tenner well spent ok its a bit chunky but it's ok right now it's Ben switched on for about 16 hours and it hasn't started to dim yet

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've been using a cheap one from one of the camping stores for years and it's fine for close proximity stuff, but got one of the alpkit ones last week for £17.50 I think and it's brilliant, great clean beam or flood that's more powerful than the old one and some coloured led's, red, green, blue if needed but probably not ! They do cheaper versions without the coloured leds too, great value I reckon and really good performance, although I don't know how long the batteries will last yet (think the website may say).

Cheers, Paul

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Modern LED technology is a wonderous thing :)
It works, it's easy to run and operate, it's cheap, and it's constantly improving.

The first LED's my husband bought for me to use on my Ngauge layout cost a blooming fortune. Now the modern equivalent (smaller sized, brighter output, wider colour range) are pennies.

He rigged up a cable around the outside of our house, there are groups of three leds along the length and it lies just under the metal edge of the roughcast above the brick layer. Discreet, tidy and totally out of the way and no need for holes in the brickwork (hot glue gun worked really well to secure the whole thing) Those lights cost pennies, run on incredibly little power, yet they light up my paths to and from the bins, the greenhouse, etc. with none of the horrendous glare or power drain of the normal flood lights.

My little headtorches are a world away from the old fashioned clumsy, battery draining torches of even just a few years ago.

Sometimes modern technology is a very good thing indeed:D

cheers,
Toddy

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
great value I reckon and really good performance, although I don't know how long the batteries will last yet (think the website may say)

I couldn't tell you about the Manta (although a review here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review...ches/alpkit-manta-headtorch/review/37584.html has some numbers) but my Gamma lasts ages on the batteries. Excellent value, and certainly better than the one I bough for £8 in Aldi the other week. I like the look of the new Viper, which has had great reviews as well.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If its any use to anyone I'm currently trying to get terms on a GB for Alpkit Gamma's.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I couldn't tell you about the Manta (although a review here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review...ches/alpkit-manta-headtorch/review/37584.html has some numbers) but my Gamma lasts ages on the batteries. Excellent value, and certainly better than the one I bough for £8 in Aldi the other week. I like the look of the new Viper, which has had great reviews as well.

Thanks for the link to the manta review, I hadn't realised till reading that if I hold the power button down it dims the output, I've been blasting away at the full 120 lumens so far !!!

Battery life for the manta is on the website, says 7 to 150 hours, so I'm guessing 7 hours if full blast on main beam at 120 lumens, through to 150 hours if using the single blue or green leds, and presumably 75 hours if using the two red leds, and something else if using the main beam on a dimmed setting depending ?!!!

Nice bit of kit and much better now I know about the dimming as 120 lumens is way excessive for close up camp stuff, more suited to running or cycling really.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE