Unbreakable shaving mirror

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hi I need a shaving mirror for use in the woods, it should have a hole in it so I can nail it to a tree. Preferably it will be unbreakable, Any suggestions?

Hi,
I've got a 1945 dated British Army heliograph mirror. It's metal and mirrored on both sides and has a hole in the centre and a hole top. It's about 4" x 3". You could possibly track one down through the surplus and collectors shops. I think it would suit your needs perfectly. I've had mine for years and I'll never part with it, it's so useful. I always take it on back-country trips, but just in case I need it for signalling or for checking out an injury I can't see (ie something in my eye or a cut on the head) but not for shaving.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jamie

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Silvermans sold me a WW2 heliograph/shaving mirror in stainless steel, it works well and is certainly unbreakable.

You could probably just as easily suspend it from a branch rather than nailing it to a tree :(

I have one of ( I think it is...) Lexan, with a mirror coating on it. Very though although it scratsches a liitle on hard surfaces.
has been in my kit from Finland to the Amazon, and still is working fine and in one piece.

Best regards,

Jan

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Hi I need a shaving mirror for use in the woods, it should have a hole in it so I can nail it to a tree. Preferably it will be unbreakable, Any suggestions?

Whats the tree done to deserve you nailing a vanity piece to it?

A tree can get an infection just like a human can once its skins punctured, especially if some ones driving nails into it. I would be well p#### if it was my land you were on and saw you nailing mirrors to the trees.

Tie it on, or, shock, sit down and shave and just prop the mirror up.

Each to his own, but personally when out I just go weirdy beardy. Although I do need to wash everyday, a few days, or even a couple of weeks beard is fine, eventually it keeps the mosquitos and frost off.
I can see a really long trip would need a mirror for shaving, to avoid the Robinson Crusoe look, and could also be useful for checking oneself over for ticks etc.
I have a credit card sized piece of mirror polished stainless steel somewhere, but having tried shaving in it once, I came to the conclusion it was like trying to watch a football match through a letter box.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You can get them in Millets,shiny steel type.

But why bother?

I find it a godsend not having to shave everyday now.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest

A tree can get an infection just like a human can once its skins punctured, especially if some ones driving nails into it. I would be well p#### if it was my land you were on and saw you nailing mirrors to the trees.

Really! I understand (and truth be told agree with) the sentiment, but is it really necessary to be so rude when you're imparting it? I feel that there's nothing wrong with a measure of old fashioned manners when it comes to disagreeing with someone, or putting your point across...

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
In most auto parts store they sell sheets of reflective plastic stuff for repairing broken sideview mirrors. Easily cut or punched and can be made to any size/shape you want. Inexpensive too.

Forest

Blimey!!! Take it easy! I'm sure he's not really going to carry a hammer and nails around with him, just so he can have a shave. A twig sticking out will do just a well. No need to come down on him like a ton of bricks!

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks for the advice, links and kind offers guys, I will be sorted I think.

PS. No trees will be harmed in the shaving of this face.;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I don't shave ever, but I still have a mirror in my kit - it's useful for tick inspections. And making sure I don't have too much forest in my hair and beard before heading back into civilisation... ;) :D

Dec 16, 2007
I have a metal one with paracord to hang round neck in shower if need to shave in shower or the tree. Plus it can be used like the glow stick on string at night but in sunny weather if trying to atract attention. Just spin round your head if you don't know direction rescue is coming from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE