Umbelliferae id please..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Came across this umbellifer today and it has me stumped. Does anyone recognise it or have a clue ...? It was growing in cornwall on a cliff top next to the sea, so it could be stunted..
Walktolooe067648x486.jpg

Walktolooe066648x486.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
It's wild carrot (Daucus carota)

What, this time of year..?
When I first saw it I did think wild carrot. I am pretty familiar with wild carrot as you can see here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23398
I just instantly dismissed it because of the time of year and I could not see any central purple flower on any flower head, but then they don't appear straight away, do they...
Wow, I know plants are early here in cornwall, I just didn't think this early...
Thanks Familne..

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Yes, it does seem amazingly early to be flowering, but it's the only umbellifer with such distinctive bracts. It's very early for any umbellifer to be flowering so maybe it's a cultivar which has been planted?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yes, it does seem amazingly early to be flowering, but it's the only umbellifer with such distinctive bracts. It's very early for any umbellifer to be flowering so maybe it's a cultivar which has been planted?

Possibly planted..But I wouldn't of thought so on a coast path, but who knows..?
There are many umbellifers out in flower here though. Alexanders have been out for a few weeks now and some the hogweed has been out in flower all winter and I saw cow parsley out today too, but that should be out early anyway... Hemlock water dropwort is showing well but not in flower..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE